New valves or pad adjustment???

9 replies to this topic
  • OnTheEdge

Posted May 22, 2009 - 08:45 AM

I was having problems starting my '03 450 and I figured I'd check the valves.
The exhaust valves are ok (in spec), but I can't get the spec (.10 mm) feeler gauge between the cam and the lifter. This took me a little by surprise as I was expecting the gap to be larger than spec figuring on some wear. It seems that they may stretch as well?

Given that information (and maybe that's not enough), should I do a valve replacement or is it feasible to put smaller shims/pads in to get it back in spec? If the recommended course of action is new valves, OEM (Ti) or Stainless??? Also, any tips on where to get them would be great too!

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

• grayracer513

Posted May 22, 2009 - 09:05 AM

They don't stretch, but the wear takes place between the valve face and the valve seat, which causes the valve to move higher in the head, closing the valve clearance up.

In deciding whether to shim or replace, you need to know how much wear has taken place. If the valve needs a shim .10mm or more smaller than the ones originally installed, then it is almost always an indication that the hard coating on the valve is worn through, and the valve must be replaced.

Done correctly, there is no better way to replace these valves than with OEM titanium. But know that the job must be done right. The guides must be in good condition, and the seats must be finished perfectly to match the valves (they cannot be lapped). Choose a competent shop to do the work.

Using stainless instead does not really provide an advantage in longevity, although it can be done cheaper than Ti. Kibblewhite makes high grade SS valves that are somewhat less expensive than OEM Ti. SS valves are almost twice as heavy, however, and the problem with KW is that their spring kit uses Ti retainers to offset the extra valve weight, and at $200+ for the kit, it pretty much wipes out the savings from using their valves.

Faction MX makes one piece hard coated SS valves, and also sells springs for them at a reasonable price. The quality of these valves is not known to me first hand, but I haven't heard anything bad about them. One could either use all Faction MX stuff, or KW valves with the FMX springs and save a buck. Whether it ends up being worth it in the long run would remain to be seen.

• OnTheEdge

Posted May 22, 2009 - 12:12 PM

Thanks gray! kinda what I figured but just needed something to backup what I was thinking....

• gdbarr1976

Posted May 22, 2009 - 12:30 PM

[Done correctly, there is no better way to replace these valves than with OEM titanium. But know that the job must be done right. The guides must be in good condition, and the valvesseats must be finished perfectly to match the (they cannot be lapped). Choose a competent shop to do the work.

How do you "finish" the valve seats without lapping them?

• gdbarr1976

Posted May 22, 2009 - 12:39 PM

ok. Did a little searching and answered my own question. Let me pose this question. If you replace the valves before they are desperatly needed will the valve seats generally not need to be re finished? Other words if they pass a leak test am I good?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 22, 2009 - 12:51 PM

The valve seats always need to be refinished if the valve is refinished or replaced. Always. If you get to them before they become an impending disaster, the seats in most YZF's will only need a very light touch-up.

• gdbarr1976

Posted May 22, 2009 - 01:06 PM

The valve seats always need to be refinished if the valve is refinished or replaced. Always. If you get to them before they become an impending disaster, the seats in most YZF's will only need a very light touch-up.

Can a guy in his garage refinish them or is this a machine shop only thing?

• grayracer513

Posted May 22, 2009 - 01:24 PM

Unless you own a seat cutter/grinder, it's a shop job.

• Family Man

Posted November 10, 2009 - 11:45 PM

How long does it take a shop to due the job, approximately of course? Trying to figure cost. Is it an easy job with a seat cutter/grinder? I probably wouldn't trust a random shop do the work.

• micahmorgan

Posted November 11, 2009 - 06:02 AM

How long does it take a shop to due the job, approximately of course? Trying to figure cost. Is it an easy job with a seat cutter/grinder? I probably wouldn't trust a random shop do the work.

A shop here in Vegas cut the seats in my 250F in about an hour and charged $20 a valve.

I hear the machine is pretty expensive and not all shops have them. Two other local shops said they had to ship the valves and head, but right before I had my parts shipped off, I heard of this other place. They did a super job.

Good luck.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.