Repeat failures of water pump seals

42 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted December 30, 2010 - 10:24 AM

In the case of my own, which had over .015" wear (from spalling) in the bearing, no unusual vibration was really detectable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jpf566

Posted May 22, 2013 - 10:22 PM

So, I suggest you check the balancer shaft bearing for clearance as you do any impeller shaft/seal service. You could end up avoiding a repeat failure, or possibly worse.

Can anyone expound on this or point me in the right direction as to how to check shaft bearing clearance? Does the bearing need to be removed in order to check it? Thanks. Just want to make sure I've got my bases covered before I throw everything back together.

• grayracer513

Posted May 23, 2013 - 06:30 AM

Radial clearance can be checked by mounting a dial gauge perpendicular to the shaft axis and measuring how far the shaft can be moved up and down.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.