03' wr450 Fork oil weight and CAPACITY??

10 replies to this topic
  • phynx

Posted May 21, 2009 - 04:33 PM

Does any one know this? I have looked through the stickies and have found nothing.:doh:
It is for a wr450 2003- weight and fork oil capacity? CC's preferably.
Thanks all!

• BajaFool

Posted May 21, 2009 - 07:35 PM

Page 2-13 in your Owner's Manual

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 21, 2009 - 08:01 PM

5wt, 100mm from top is the factory setting.
Some use 2.5w 125mm from the top. That is a light setting.
You can vary the last 2 inches of travel 'stiffness' by increasing the oil height.
Using volumetric measurements in forks is not recommended for fine tuning. Measure from the top of the fork, after pumping fork and waiting 24hrs for cavitation to settle. The fork needs to off the bike and straight up level.

Here is a suspension primer for you that is very good:

http://www.peterverd.../suspension.htm

• BajaFool

Posted May 22, 2009 - 11:08 AM

Krannie,
You're way too easy.

• sarkmych

Posted May 22, 2009 - 11:37 AM

Page 2-13 in your Owner's Manual

Sometimes, owners manuals or more specifically, service manuals which show all these types of specifications arent available for a number of reasons. Unless you buy the bike brand new from a reputable dealer the service manual is an aftermarket expense. The owner's manual in most cases don't show specifications such as this. Seeing as how this fella has an 03' (6-7 yrs old), the manual may be long gone. Thus the reason for his post. Perhaps you should get in the business of selling manuals then you would be useful.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sarkmych

Posted May 22, 2009 - 11:38 AM

Does any one know this? I have looked through the stickies and have found nothing.:doh:
It is for a wr450 2003- weight and fork oil capacity? CC's preferably.
Thanks all!

I have the manual for that bike and you are welcome to ask me anytime for specs. Take care and "happy" riding...

• phynx

Posted May 22, 2009 - 12:01 PM

[COLOR="Lime"]Thanks Krannie and Sark!!! I'm on it this weekend...Have a safe one![/COLOR]

• graazzy

Posted May 22, 2009 - 01:04 PM

Here is link for the workshop manual download page. This is the complete service manual , not just the owners handbook.

http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

• BajaFool

Posted May 22, 2009 - 01:10 PM

The Owner's Manual comes with each Yamaha motorcycle sold. If you bought your bike used and the previous owner did not give you the manual, I would ask him for it. If you bought the bike new, your dealer should have furnished it to you at the time of sale. The Owner's manual is actually the Service Manual and it does contain the information you are looking for:

Oil capacity 573 cm3
(20.2 lmp oz,
19.4 US oz)

Oil level 130 mm (5.12 in)
<Min.~Max.>
(From top of outer tube with inner
tube and damper rod fully com-
pressed without spring.)
80 ~ 150 mm
(3.15 ~ 5.91 in)
Oil grade Suspension oil
“01”

The point of the comment to Krannie was that often, new folks just ask the question without taking any time to research what may be at their fingertips. Just to let you know how helpful I can be, here is the link to Yamaha of Australia's Owner's Handbook library http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0. Follow the prompts and you can view the Owner's Manual for your year motorcycle, as well as for many other models and years. Note that the manuals are international and may be in several languages, so you will have to go through a lot of pages. I hope this calms our discussion.:doh:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 22, 2009 - 04:09 PM

The Owner's Manual comes with each Yamaha motorcycle sold. If you bought your bike used and the previous owner did not give you the manual, I would ask him for it. If you bought the bike new, your dealer should have furnished it to you at the time of sale. The Owner's manual is actually the Service Manual and it does contain the information you are looking for:

Oil capacity 573 cm3
(20.2 lmp oz,
19.4 US oz)

Oil level 130 mm (5.12 in)
<Min.~Max.>
(From top of outer tube with inner
tube and damper rod fully com-
pressed without spring.)
80 ~ 150 mm
(3.15 ~ 5.91 in)
Oil grade Suspension oil
“01”

The point of the comment to Krannie was that often, new folks just ask the question without taking any time to research what may be at their fingertips. Just to let you know how helpful I can be, here is the link to Yamaha of Australia's Owner's Handbook library http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0. Follow the prompts and you can view the Owner's Manual for your year motorcycle, as well as for many other models and years. Note that the manuals are international and may be in several languages, so you will have to go through a lot of pages. I hope this calms our discussion.:doh:

Tell a man he's stupid and he remains stupid for life. Show
him how not
to be stupid, and maybe he will learn a skill for life.

• phynx

Posted May 22, 2009 - 04:23 PM

:doh: Wow, didn't know that.. I asked for my buddy who I sold my 04 WR and needs new seals now after having it for a year. I sold him that one to pick up an 03' with 75 stinkin miles!! It was LOVE at first sight. Guy dropped it one time. Bent the bars and let it sit in his garage for 5 years. I picked it up for 2200 + over due DMV (numb nut had not did a NON OP). The Carb was mossy green, so it just required thorough cleaning— runs like a champ no and happy! And BTW, this guy being the first owner, gave me title and original purchase price reciept ($7200), but never handed me the manual. :snore: This is even the case with my 04' that I also was the second owner too. I think these people don't think about it when they sell their bike..

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.