Oversize gas tank for 03 WR450F

11 replies to this topic
  • sarkmych

Posted May 21, 2009 - 09:17 AM

I am doing some research into dual sporting my WR and would lke to know if anyone has any experiences with oversize tanks. The one I am interested in buying is the Trail tank; Aqualine RV Safari Tank 4.1 gallons. I think its made by Acerbis but not sure.

• BajaFool

Posted May 21, 2009 - 07:45 PM

You're probably wondering why you have not received any replies regarding your search for oversize tanks for your 03 WR450. It is probably because you apparently have not taken the time before you asked for help to A. use the "SEARCH" feature on this website and B. used Google to answer your question.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 21, 2009 - 07:53 PM

You're probably wondering why you have not received any replies regarding your search for oversize tanks for your 03 WR450. It is probably because you apparently have not taken the time before you asked for help to A. use the "SEARCH" feature on this website and B. used Google to answer your question.

Ooooh, that's tellin' him!:doh:

http://www.rvaqualin...page.php?sId=10

• sarkmych

Posted May 22, 2009 - 08:04 AM

Wasn't really wondering since the post was up for all of 9 hrs. Hope I'm not that cranky when I get to be that age. Thanks for the info though, much appreciated. I used the search this morning and found what I need.
I guess I have to expect that being a newbie n all. Thanks again.

• sarkmych

Posted May 22, 2009 - 08:30 AM

Next time I will be more careful to ask the right question. That is...Does anyone have any experience with that particular tank that I mentioned. If I'm going to spend 500 bucks I'd like to get some customer feedback if possible. I actually did a search for that tank and no hits were found.
Thanks again...

• GOTROX

Posted May 22, 2009 - 08:57 AM

Wasn't really wondering since the post was up for all of 9 hrs. Hope I'm not that cranky when I get to be that age. Thanks for the info though, much appreciated. I used the search this morning and found what I need.
I guess I have to expect that being a newbie n all. Thanks again.

IMHO - you really sould not have to expect cranky responses because you are a newbie... I'm a newbie here tooI'm very glad you found the data you were looking for after refining your search criteria.

Would you mind elaborating on why you are looking for a bigger tank? I have considered a larger tank on both of my most recent bikes (bought one a couple weeks ago). I have considered a bigger tank on the 09 wr450F because the stock tanks 'seems' small to me for that big of a motor. I really don't have much experience with the bike, so I am not sure what the range is (I am sure it will get better once broken in). Anyway, I really dislike the idea of running out of gas because I ride trails mostly so I am often quite a distance from the pickup.

Anyway, I have looked at all kinds of options from 3 gal tanks to the Acerbis extra tanks that go on the number plate, etc. Just wondered why you were looking, what you saw, etc.

Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sarkmych

Posted May 22, 2009 - 11:25 AM

IMHO - you really sould not have to expect cranky responses because you are a newbie... I'm a newbie here tooI'm very glad you found the data you were looking for after refining your search criteria.

Would you mind elaborating on why you are looking for a bigger tank? I have considered a larger tank on both of my most recent bikes (bought one a couple weeks ago). I have considered a bigger tank on the 09 wr450F because the stock tanks 'seems' small to me for that big of a motor. I really don't have much experience with the bike, so I am not sure what the range is (I am sure it will get better once broken in). Anyway, I really dislike the idea of running out of gas because I ride trails mostly so I am often quite a distance from the pickup.

Anyway, I have looked at all kinds of options from 3 gal tanks to the Acerbis extra tanks that go on the number plate, etc. Just wondered why you were looking, what you saw, etc.

Thanks.

I am thinking of dual sporting my 03' and I only have the stock tank on it. I'm looking for a decent tank that will give me >200kms range.
On my 07' I have an IMS 3.1 gallon tank (had to buy 07 YZ shrouds to fit) and I get about 200kms on it. That replaced the stock 2.4 gallon tank that I got easily 130-140 kms range. I bought the oversize tank for Baja but still carry a couple of 1L fuel bottles for rides >200kms. Unfortunately, after I bought it, Clarke came out with their 3.6 gallon tank.
I found a 4.1 gallon tank (Safari Trail tank) from "Just Gas Tanks" for about $450.00 US and I think this would be the best tank for a Baja trip where most of our rides are 250-300kms. My buddy has a 07' Husaberg 550FE and he went with an aftermarket 27L?? (6 gallon) and he never had to carry fuel ever!!
Hope this helps.

• DrzDasher

Posted May 22, 2009 - 03:07 PM

. THe ims 3.2 will get me 100 miles or so and you can probably pick one up for 100 in the tt classifieds , remember the 250 yzs and wrs fit too, doesn't look too bad eitherPosted Image sorry for the bad pick. I would comment about the others but I have not used them. one right there http://www.thumperta...ct=50941&cat=32150 bucks. can't beat that.

• Lcpl0331

Posted May 22, 2009 - 04:18 PM

Just bought brand stankin new 3.3 gal. acerbis off fleebay for $80 . never had gas in it. It fit the bike nice but the stock shrouds only get 3 of the 4 screws to line up. I'm cheap so it stays as is until I break 'em.

• DrzDasher

Posted May 22, 2009 - 11:00 PM

you have to use yz shrouds.

• Lcpl0331

Posted May 23, 2009 - 01:20 AM

I will eventually. These won't last forever.

• NMNORGE

Posted May 23, 2009 - 09:33 AM

Just bought brand stankin new 3.3 gal. acerbis off fleebay for $80 . never had gas in it. It fit the bike nice but the stock shrouds only get 3 of the 4 screws to line up. I'm cheap so it stays as is until I break 'em.

Awesome deal! My Aceribis tank cost $200 and you need YZ shrouds.:doh:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.