Anyone made a carb heat shield?

13 replies to this topic
  • yz007f

Posted May 21, 2009 - 05:06 AM

I took sometime last night in the garage and made a nice alum heat shield for my carb on my 09 450. I know you can buy the carbon ones but I did not want to spend over 50 bucks for one. I have seen them on some of the pro factory bikes and thought it would be a good idea. I'll post some pics later of it, it looks pretty trick on there! I just wanted to know if anyone else, has took the time to make one?

• FinchFan194

Posted May 21, 2009 - 10:05 AM

Pics please!

• rdrata

Posted May 21, 2009 - 05:53 PM

I did a quick and easy one with Helix foil/glass cut from the sheet; combination of hot melt and zip ties, it hangs over the carb like a curtain. Not the prettiest, but it does help. On my son's CRF450 I glued it on to the bottom of his tank as the Hondas "drop" in and sit right over the engine.

• yz007f

Posted May 21, 2009 - 06:50 PM

Here's a few pics sorry I didn't think to take any when I finished it.. Would of made more sense to do that but I can take it off it someone wanted to see it better. It looks clean on there doesn't look tacky, as you can see in the pics I like my stuff to be clean and pretty!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• FinchFan194

Posted May 21, 2009 - 08:50 PM

Looks sharp what did you use for material?

• MuDPoUNdeR

Posted May 21, 2009 - 09:40 PM

Cool mod.

(Not down talking your mod but ...)
I think I would rather put a heat shield around the tank though. A lose of power can be created by fuel being warm or hot. The tank I would imagine would warm the fuel much more than the carb.

• rdrata

Posted May 21, 2009 - 10:06 PM

Nice job on that; like I said, mine is very similar, but not as neat! I think the tank is important but the Yamis aren't effected as much as the zooks, hondas or kawis due to the design of their frames. However, it seems that the Yami pipes are the closest to the carb specifically in close proximity to the float bowl. Good Mod:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz007f

Posted May 22, 2009 - 04:19 AM

mudpounder,
I know what your saying I have used foil tape and done the whole underside of the tank with it. But I haven't done it to this one yet. I really just didn't like the glowing red header so close to the carb bowl. I know there wont be a difference to ride it but it looks cool and its a piece of mind that my carb will run cooler lol..

• yz007f

Posted May 22, 2009 - 04:24 AM

I made it out of aluminum then added this aluminum foil sheeting to the one side for heat reflective.

• damn dummy

Posted May 22, 2009 - 11:24 AM

I made one out of thin gauge stainless steel. Aluminum absorbs heat and stainless rejects heat(but weighs alot). My heat shield weighs next to nothing. I made it so it covers carb at 2 angles and bends to cover accelerator pump cover. I also used the foil tape under the tank. I will try to post pictures after I do the photo bucket thing.

• damn dummy

Posted May 22, 2009 - 11:36 AM

Okay, I did my photobucket thing. Here are a couple pictures

• damn dummy

Posted May 22, 2009 - 11:41 AM

:doh:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted May 22, 2009 - 12:45 PM

Aluminum absorbs heat and stainless rejects heat

Stainless absobs heat too, it just does so more slowly than Al does. Aluminum also dissipates heat more rapidly than SS by far, and so can absorb a great deal more heat energy before it gets hot itself. If you want to improve the thermal reflectivity of Al sheet, polish the hot side, and leave the cold side dull. On a theoretical level, SS has some advantage as a heat shielding material, but from a practical standpoint the advantage in this application is very small. As long as an air gap is maintained between the shield and the carb, either material will work as well as the other.

• yz007f

Posted May 22, 2009 - 02:32 PM

I made nylon spacers to space it from the carb which should help.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.