New 09' WR450F - Breaking it in!

17 replies to this topic
  • trancetechau

Posted May 19, 2009 - 10:14 PM

Hi Guys / Girls,

About to get a new 09 WR450F and was wondering if the breaking in procedure should be any different to older models suggested here on TT.

Would anyone like to enlighten me with the procedure. i.e.

step 1 - change oil before riding
step 2 - warm up for 5min
step 3 - run for 20 min in every gear or 2 gear or ??? not recommended to go over xxxRPM
step 4 - cool down
step 5 - repeat 2 & 3 till around 20 hrs
step 6 - change oil and air filter
step 7 - change oil and air filter after every ride for first 500-600km (around 5-6hrs riding for me each ride)

The above is basically what i'm aware of thus far (based of many forum posts). Is this what you suggest?

• davidl9999

Posted May 19, 2009 - 10:26 PM

No.
I'm a fan of motoman and the "run it like you stole it" break-in procedure.
Warm the bike up and check the oil level.
Get some load on the engine accelerating and braking.
Go through some heat cycles.
Change the oil and oil filter after an hour or two (yamalube is fine for this)
Switch to a synthetic after 10 hours. (my choice: Motul 300V)
Change your air filter when it's dirty. Make sure that you grease the filter/airbox seal. I like a UNI filter and NoToil.

You want to break-in the ring and piston skirt, and get any sharp edges burnished on the engine bearing surfaces (and things like cam sprockets, etc.).
The tranny can wait (imo). It takes a while to wear-in a yammy clutch anyway. You only get 1 shot at breaking in the reciprocating parts. After 2 hours, you're pretty much done.

http://www.mototuneu..._in_secrets.htm

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 20, 2009 - 05:36 AM

No.
Change your air filter when it's dirty. Make sure that you grease the filter/airbox seal. I like a UNI filter and NoToil.

You want to break-in the ring and piston skirt, and get any sharp edges burnished on the engine bearing surfaces (and things like cam sprockets, etc.).
The tranny can wait (imo). It takes a while to wear-in a yammy clutch anyway. You only get 1 shot at breaking in the reciprocating parts. After 2 hours, you're pretty much done.

Ditto. Baby the motor and you end up with a 'baby motor'.

• ww44wrf450f

Posted May 20, 2009 - 06:14 AM

From what I've read on other teck site's to get the max, hp from new rings and new cyclinder, is when the bike is started for the first time to have any benifit. Find an area that you can use 3'rd gear ( dependen's on bike ), -- start the bike and get on it and go, let it warm up, 30sec to a minute while riding, and then you want to be fairly hard on the gas to you almost reach the rev limiter, then let off the gas without using the break and let the engine do the breaking to slow you down, repeat 5 times, change the oil.
Hopefully the mechanic did You a favour and drove it like he stole it?
Make your first ride a short one and change the oil as soon as possible would be the best thing?:doh:

• beezer

Posted May 20, 2009 - 06:38 AM

I ride the bike around the yard and then change the oil and filter and then go ride it.

I've never bothered with all these different break in methods, I just go riding.

• YamaLink

Posted May 20, 2009 - 07:35 AM

Check oil and radiator fluid.
Tighten a few bolts that are always loose it seems.
Warm up. Ride it like I stole it, never letting it get too hot, never babying it.
Cool for a bit. Repeat for an hour or so.
Change oil, peek at air filter, tighten the 42 spokes that are too loose.

Then ride hard, early and often.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted May 20, 2009 - 10:04 AM

IMO, its the transmission gear faces that need to be seated and polished. The rings and valves find home really fast.

• trancetechau

Posted May 21, 2009 - 04:27 AM

mmm very different methods. I'm getting delivery of my new WR450F tomorrow (ordered today :doh: ). It will be delivered still restricted so only 1/4 throttle (Austrlian model if that makes a difference). So i don't think i can get it at the rev limitter in 3rd. So i'm thinking warm up motor then open it up to full throttle (remembering this is only 1/4) then slow down using engine. let the bike cool down for a bit. repeat 4-5 times. Go riding for a few hours then change the oil (i.e. most likely at around 50km).

Or should i change the oil after doing the cycles? Bike shop said do at around 100km. I hope more people post on here got until sunday until i go riding.

• GOTROX

Posted May 21, 2009 - 05:29 AM

I just took my 09 450F out for the maiden voyage last Sunday.

I tried to do the mototune ride it like you stole it break in procedure. My bike had all the free mods done at the shop (gray wire, etc). I also had the AIS removed, an FMF Q pipe installed, YZ Throttle stop, an hour meter, hand guards, and ASV levers.

Again, all I have to say is I TRIED to do the mototune break in. With the mods listed above, my bike was so freakin powerful and so fast, that in third gear, I hit some ridiculous speeds (at least 75 MPH) well before the Rev limiter hit. Quite honestly, I was afraid to open the throttle all the way when I finally got it to 5th gear - but I did it and it felt great :p (until I chickened out before reaching the limiter) The first day felt more like a break in for me than for the bike :cool:

I let the bike cool after a bit, did some hill climbs with engine braking descents, then found a field to open it up all the way in all the gears. Somewhere in the high 80's, I gave up on trying to read the speedometer because I was afraid I may find a rut or a rodent hole.

All I have to say is I LOVE THIS BIKE.
:doh: :snore: :lol: :banana: :eek:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ww44wrf450f

Posted May 21, 2009 - 07:03 AM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=440631

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=349760

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=314522

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=308701

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=309069

http://www.famousbym...g.com/sport.htm

http://www.southbayr...ead.php?t=10730

http://www.hotcamsin...Video&videoid=3

http://www.hotcamsin...Video&videoid=4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NvARD--iqU

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 21, 2009 - 11:11 AM

I tried to do the mototune ride it like you stole it break in procedure. My bike had all the free mods done at the shop (gray wire, etc). I also had the AIS removed, an FMF Q pipe installed, YZ Throttle stop, an hour meter, hand guards, and ASV levers.

Again, all I have to say is I TRIED to do the mototune break in. With the mods listed above, my bike was so freakin powerful and so fast, that in third gear, I hit some ridiculous speeds (at least 75 MPH) well before the Rev limiter hit. Quite honestly, I was afraid to open the throttle all the way when I finally got it to 5th gear - but I did it and it felt great :p (until I chickened out before reaching the limiter) The first day felt more like a break in for me than for the bike :cool:

I let the bike cool after a bit, did some hill climbs with engine braking descents, then found a field to open it up all the way in all the gears. Somewhere in the high 80's, I gave up on trying to read the speedometer because I was afraid I may find a rut or a rodent hole.

:doh: :snore: :lol: :banana: :eek:

Stay off the rev limiter!

• wartsnuff

Posted May 21, 2009 - 12:46 PM

No.

I agree this is the way to break it in !!!! i did it this way... my bike is a raped ape :doh:

just make sure you uncork it before breaking in the motor the motoman way

• trancetechau

Posted May 21, 2009 - 04:21 PM

Again, all I have to say is I TRIED to do the mototune break in. With the mods listed above, my bike was so freakin powerful and so fast, that in third gear, I hit some ridiculous speeds (at least 75 MPH) well before the Rev limiter hit. Quite honestly, I was afraid to open the throttle all the way when I finally got it to 5th gear - but I did it and it felt great (until I chickened out before reaching the limiter) The first day felt more like a break in for me than for the bike

Hahaha nice work sounds like a blast, people saying don't get this bike get the WR250F hearing what you said brings a smile to my face :doh:

When did you change your oil end of the day?

• GOTROX

Posted May 22, 2009 - 08:25 AM

I changed the oil and filter at about 26 miles. I had planned to do it around 20, but I was on a trail ride having too much fun. Returned from that trail and did the change right away.

The oil that came out was pretty well used. My drain pan is black and enclosed so I did not hold the oil up to the sunlight to look for metal flecks in the oil. The filter was NOT clogged with anything, but I wanted a new one in there anyway. I will likely change the paper filter every oil change for the first 5-6 changes. After that, I may go every other change or possibly switch to a washable steel filter.

• trancetechau

Posted May 24, 2009 - 07:09 PM

Took my new bike for it's breakin yesterday. 90km all up. will do oil change and filter clean before next ride.

It seems very slow compared to what I was expecting. It is still restricted to half throttle. It can only do max 65-70km / hr and that's down hill on straight fire trail (half throttle). The half throttle really sucks ass as I seem to be short shifting the gears but say 2nd is too low, but 3rd seems like it's chugging.

Once the throttle stop is removed should this thing go fast? It's extreamely slow to get going and take ages just to build up enough to get into 3rd.

I was thinking of removing restrictions at about 200-300km. Anyone else had experience breakin their bike in. Do you find it very very slow, no acceleration?

• ww44wrf450f

Posted May 25, 2009 - 04:50 AM

Did you not go throught the links I gave you, put them in a new folder in your favorites tab? , infact they should have there own sticki?

You need to uncork it? You will need to buy some stuff?

AIS removal kit ( gytr or the tt )
jd jet kit - this makes it simple or a mix of diff. jet's that you will need?
aftermarket exhaust, used yz or unbaffle the stocker?
airbox mods.

If I had to do it agian, I would cut the throttle screw, order the tt kit,jd jetting kit and a full Dr.D exhaust system? or a used yz's --- my 2cents?

:lol: :doh: :snore:

• GOTROX

Posted May 25, 2009 - 06:07 AM

I did the following:

AIS kit from GYTR
FMF Q4 Exhaust (still quiet, lots more flow)
Re-jetted
YZ Throttle Stop
Free Mods (Grey wire, etc.)

Other stuff was cosmetic
ASV Levers
Hand Guards

My bike has plenty of power. Had it near 90 MPH (about 145 KPH). I chickened out before I found the top speed. I also was uncomfortable trying to read the speedometer at that rate.

Anyway, I strongly suggest you look at the free mods first. The Grey wire would be my number 1 suggestion. Throttle stop next. AIS, Exhaust, and Re-jettting should all be done together in my opinion (so you can get the jet right)

Good luck.

• trancetechau

Posted May 26, 2009 - 05:16 AM

Did you not go throught the links I gave you, put them in a new folder in your favorites tab? , infact they should have there own sticki?

You need to uncork it? You will need to buy some stuff?

AIS removal kit ( gytr or the tt )
jd jet kit - this makes it simple or a mix of diff. jet's that you will need?
aftermarket exhaust, used yz or unbaffle the stocker?
airbox mods.

If I had to do it agian, I would cut the throttle screw, order the tt kit,jd jetting kit and a full Dr.D exhaust system? or a used yz's --- my 2cents?

:lol: :crazy: :eek:

Yes I have read every one of those links and read them again when you sent it me thanks heaps. As this is my first ride on a new bike i.e. first breakin and have never rode a WR250/450 I was just confirming. It's ridiculous how slow these things are from the showroom floor - I read these forums but didn't realise it would be that bad. Anyhow after this weekend i'll get the mods done.

Thanks heaps for your advice - great help.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.