different year exhaust on 2007

3 replies to this topic
  • humpness

Posted May 19, 2009 - 08:00 PM

I am wondering if there are many pipes that fit an 07. is this recommended? I think its fine for 08 and 09 exhausts but what about 06 and below?

• KJ790

Posted May 20, 2009 - 03:27 AM

A full system for an 06 will fit, but you can't mix and match parts, the diameter of the pipe at the midpipe joint changed between 06 and 07.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 20, 2009 - 06:24 AM

A full system for an 06 will fit, but you can't mix and match parts, the diameter of the pipe at the midpipe joint changed between 06 and 07.

That's true with regard to OEM systems, which I believe is what KJ means here. Complete systems form one year will swap to the next, but as he says, you can't mix parts freely.

With aftermarket parts, the same it sort of true, too. The DRD system for an '06 is the same as for an '08 or '09, or anything between, but you can't mix a DRD header with an FMF or OEM mid pipe, etc., because of variations in the diameters. As long as you keep the whole thing together, '06-'09 interchange freely.

• KJ790

Posted May 20, 2009 - 01:17 PM

That's true with regard to OEM systems, which I believe is what KJ means here. Complete systems form one year will swap to the next, but as he says, you can't mix parts freely.

With aftermarket parts, the same it sort of true, too. The DRD system for an '06 is the same as for an '08 or '09, or anything between, but you can't mix a DRD header with an FMF or OEM mid pipe, etc., because of variations in the diameters. As long as you keep the whole thing together, '06-'09 interchange freely.

Yup you are correct. Just to add to that on the note of aftermarket pipes, some companies such as FMF use one slip on for 06-09. They use a large midpipe with different sized spacer sleeves to match the different sized headers. Since many companies use a step in the exhaust near the midpipe joint anyways, this doubles as the step in the pipe.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.