Grenaded my PD chain on the weekend

10 replies to this topic
  • sarkmych

Posted May 19, 2009 - 07:47 AM

My chain from primary drive (520 gold x ring) blew apart last weekend and i wasn't even riding hard. Didn't do really any damage to me sprockets but I will replace them too. What is the best chain/sprocket combinations out there? I am running 13/50 gearing. Any suggestions?

• KennyMc

Posted May 19, 2009 - 08:24 AM

My chain from primary drive (520 gold x ring) blew apart last weekend and i wasn't even riding hard. Didn't do really any damage to me sprockets but I will replace them too. What is the best chain/sprocket combinations out there? I am running 13/50 gearing. Any suggestions?

I use:

Chain = D.I.D/Regina
Sprockets = Ironman

http://www.dirttrick...g_sprockets.htm

• chevy power

Posted May 19, 2009 - 11:41 AM

My buddy just got a parts unlimited chain, he said a few of the guys at our local shop love them. Its an xring chain and was on sale for about 55$. He went with steel sprockets.

• dustdogg

Posted May 19, 2009 - 06:43 PM

I use:

Chain = D.I.D/Regina
Sprockets = Ironman

http://www.dirttrick...g_sprockets.htm

That is the same setup that I've been using. Never had a problem with D.I.D. My stock D.I.D. lasted over 3000 miles and it was still in good shape. I replaced it with a D.I.D. X-Ring and Ironman sprockets and so far so good. If you are looking for something that will last then I highly recommend this combo. The cost is more but I believe that you will save in the end by not having to replace them so often.

• sarkmych

Posted May 20, 2009 - 09:11 AM

Thanks guys for the replies.
My research led me to the DID 520 x 114 chain as well as new Renthal front (13T) and rear (50t) sprockets. Can't wait to try em out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ep87

Posted May 20, 2009 - 10:10 AM

Wow you've got me a little concerned I just installed the same primary drive x-ring chain and sprockets 14/50 last week, and have only one ride on them.
how old was your chain? Has any one else had problems with this chain?

• SXP

Posted May 20, 2009 - 10:59 AM

I'm running PD chains on both my '99 400s and have had no issues with them. They have held up just as well as the brand names. The only negative thing I have to say about them is that they are wider and heavier than the brand names.

The extra width of the chain is the reason why I dont run it on my 07 450 as that bike doesn't seem to have much tolerance for an out of adjustment or misaligned chain. A loose chain quickly starts abrading the main spar and also the subframe, and the extra width would only make matters worse.

• beezer

Posted May 20, 2009 - 11:20 AM

A chain is the wrong thing to pinch pennies on. If it breaks you're walking home and many times a broken chain takes out the cases when it goes.

Most of the low priced aftermarket stuff is chinese.

• drtbk4ever

Posted May 20, 2009 - 11:51 AM

Hey Sarkmych,

Always nice to see other Albertan WR450 owners.

Where in Alberta you located? Did you buy the chain/sprockets locally or through the internet?

• sarkmych

Posted May 22, 2009 - 09:31 AM

Hey Sarkmych,

Always nice to see other Albertan WR450 owners.

Where in Alberta you located? Did you buy the chain/sprockets locally or through the internet?

Im in Edmonton. Tough to find alot of good places to ride. I take the kids to Bruderheim and Hunter valley most of the time. I like to get to the Okanagan several times a year where the real riding is...
I bought this particular set up from RMATV.

• sarkmych

Posted May 22, 2009 - 09:32 AM

Wow you've got me a little concerned I just installed the same primary drive x-ring chain and sprockets 14/50 last week, and have only one ride on them.
how old was your chain? Has any one else had problems with this chain?

I think the problem was that I was in Baja for over a month in 08/09 at christmas time and the many miles up and down the beaches may have salted the chain. Upon my return to the great white north i didn't do any real maintenance until this spring. before the first ride of this year I cleaned and lubed the chain but it may have been too little too late. I put 2500 kms on that setup in Baja with no issues. My opinion is there is no problem with the PD parts. I think I'll just try a new set-up for a change.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.