Timing chain life in hours?

3 replies to this topic
  • Kalar01

Posted May 19, 2009 - 07:06 AM

I found one post that said to change it annually but no comments on hours.
Does anyone know the approximate life in hours of a timing chain (I ride an 08 450)?

• grayracer513

Posted May 19, 2009 - 07:37 AM

"Your mileage may vary"

If you race it full time, perhaps 50 or fewer. If you don't, it might go beyond 200 with no trouble. Notice that the timing chain isn't mentioned in the manual as a maintenance item.

On an '08 especially, it's a good idea to do periodic inspections of the chain while you're checking the valve clearance. The reason is that there have been enough instances of '08's and even a couple of later '07's with premature timing chain problems. It's good to catch this before the engine skips time because of it. The trouble seems to be either faulty tensioners or chains, and once the parts are replaced, the problem appears to stay gone.

The inspection goes like this:
http://www.thumperta...202#post8114202

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • husqy360

Posted May 19, 2009 - 05:07 PM

i changed my cam chain at about 100 hours, it was identical to the new 1.

• 642MX

Posted May 19, 2009 - 06:20 PM

I agree with Grayracer. Expert level riders who can keep the throttle pinned all the time should replace them before 50 hours. Guys that trail ride or play on MX tracks can safely change them at 100 hours.

I change mine once a year. Its cheap & easy to do... plus it gives me piece of mind when I'm over 2 hours away from my truck in the middle of the Tennessee mountains. :doh:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.