I need an expert opinion

3 replies to this topic
  • wearalloyer

Posted May 18, 2009 - 02:56 PM

Hi.This is my first post and i m new to yamaha's.Actually i made a fork rebuilt to my yz450 08' but i need new fork springs and shock sprints too.The point is that i m very confuse about spring rates.So i visited both Racetech.com and Mx-Tech.com calculators in order to find a solution.The results were almost the same but Mx-tech.com recommended for the tall riders to round up 1 full size on the rear spring.For example 5.1kg/mm rider would use 5.4 kg/mm spring rate.
I weight 220lbs w/o gears and i m 6.3.Anyway recommended springs are 0.48 and 5.8 and my question is....does 6.0 help me set up my sag at 100mm without my bike fell a lot stiffer?i dont know exactly the deference instead to use the 5.8 spring.
Also i need some advices about fork oil volume.How much outer chamber fork oil volume is do you use for 08 yz 450 forks and which height level have to prefer?

Sorry for my bad english

• grayracer513

Posted May 18, 2009 - 03:15 PM

Your English is much better than my Greek, believe me.

With the rear spring, remember that with the shock so far forward, it works at a very great disadvantage. The fork springs work one-to-one against the wheel, but in the rear, the wheel has a lot of leverage over the shock.

This leverage is about 3:1 (just roughly). So, if you take the 5.8 and divide by 3 to get the working spring pressure at the axle, it's 1.93 kg/mm, and the 6.0 is 2.0. Not so different anymore. Only 0.07 Kg, instead of 0.2. In lb/in, the working pressures are 67 and 69, so there's not a lot of difference.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wearalloyer

Posted May 18, 2009 - 03:41 PM

Your English is much better than my Greek, believe me.

With the rear spring, remember that with the shock so far forward, it works at a very great disadvantage. The fork springs work one-to-one against the wheel, but in the rear, the wheel has a lot of leverage over the shock.

This leverage is about 3:1 (just roughly). So, if you take the 5.8 and divide by 3 to get the working spring pressure at the axle, it's 1.93 kg/mm, and the 6.0 is 2.0. Not so different anymore. Only 0.07 Kg, instead of 0.2. In lb/in, the working pressures are 67 and 69, so there's not a lot of difference.

first of all...Thanks for the quick respond Gray.finally which is your advice 5.8 or 6.0?Does 6.0 help me set Sag at 100mm?And please give me some volume and level advice.My rider type is 50% enduro and 50% motocross.I m thinking to use 340cc and 145mm.if i was wrong please correct me.
Anyway your answer makes me sleep good tonight because i was confused a lot about that situation

• grayracer513

Posted May 18, 2009 - 03:59 PM

I'm not sure on the rear spring, but I tend to lean toward the advice given by MX-Tech when they differ with each other. If they say you should use a 6.0, then try it.

For the oil, on the inner chamber level, you need to understand that the level given, 145mm is not the amount of oil that will be in the cartridge when you have assembled it. There will be some excess that is forced out as you compress the rod the first time, so that the right level is "completely full". You need to be sure that it is at least 145-148mm as you start to put the base valve in. There is no harm in too much, just a little bigger mess. If there is not enough, there will be a problem with air and foam.

For the outer chamber, I say start with 340 and if it bottoms out too easy, or seems too soft, add 5cc/side until you like it better.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.