1997 yz125 transmission oil

just go to virtually any auto part store or wal mart and ask for "type F automatic transmission fluid please!" now there is alot of different opinions on using automatic transmission fluid for your bike, but that is a preference you have to make on your own. there are several threads active right now on this big debate you can check out:thumbsup:

Really?!?!?!?!? ATF???? Atf is "AUTOMATIC" transmission fluid.:snore::doh:?

I bought a 2000 yz125 and it had atf in it and it would foul out plugs left and right the guy said. I drained it and then put normal motor oil in it (10W30) like it suppose to have and in the next 30 seconds the bike locked up.

Bottom end was shot and cylinder was cracked.

reason was the ATF dosent lubricate the bottom end like oil dose.

Go to advanced auto parts and get Royal Purple 10W 30. 8 bucks a quart but it works so damn good. plus Yz's only take 650mL so you have 4 changes out of 3 quarts.

or goto O'rieley and get lucas 10W30.

NEVER USE ATF!!!!!

BTW 68b_body did you use to have a 2000 yz125? one you traded for a 2000 KTM 125sx? hahahahha

Really?!?!?!?!? ATF???? Atf is "AUTOMATIC" transmission fluid.?:doh::banana:

I bought a 2000 yz125 and it had atf in it and it would foul out plugs left and right the guy said. I drained it and then put normal motor oil in it (10W30) like it suppose to have and in the next 30 seconds the bike locked up.

Bottom end was shot and cylinder was cracked.

reason was the ATF dosent lubricate the bottom end like oil dose.

Go to advanced auto parts and get Royal Purple 10W 30. 8 bucks a quart but it works so damn good. plus Yz's only take 650mL so you have 4 changes out of 3 quarts.

or goto O'rieley and get lucas 10W30.

NEVER USE ATF!!!!!

BTW 68b_body did you use to have a 2000 yz125? one you traded for a 2000 KTM 125sx? hahahahha

what the heck does the type of transmission fluid have to do with these two highlighted parts of your post?????:snore: you apparently didnt put any premix in your gas:bonk:

Well think. Automatic tranny fluid? Well its obvious at first that a bike is manual. And it fouled plugs becasue it had bad rings and got in the top end and fouled the plugs. And i drained the gas when i got it and ran my non racing premix. it was 95 octane. I run that mix rich as hell. one whole quart of yamaha lube to 5 gallons. I run that rich to help save motors till i have money/time to rebuild them

Well think. Automatic tranny fluid? Well its obvious at first that a bike is manual. And it fouled plugs becasue it had bad rings and got in the top end and fouled the plugs. And i drained the gas when i got it and ran my non racing premix. it was 95 octane. I run that mix rich as hell. one whole quart of yamaha lube to 5 gallons. I run that rich to help save motors till i have money/time to rebuild them

So how does the tranny fluid affect the crank shaft and rotating assembly? For 5 gallons of gas you should be mixing in 20 ounces of oil not 32. Do you have any clue how an automatic tranny works? They are full of wet clutch packs and gears. Please, stop spreading misinformation.

Wow. Lots of miss information here.

First, on the OP question, dont run none of that auto crap, go to your motorcycle store, pick up some 2 stroke transmission oil. Ask the guy, hell know. Its a dirtbike, not a car.

Transmission is independent on a 2 stroke man. If you put the wrong oil in the tranny, you will have tranny problems. The tranny is completely independent from the crank, piston, everything. It probably fouled plugs because your top end was very worn, and it finally went out. Definatly not because you put the wrong tranny fluid in it did the piston fry. Thats like saying i put the wrong spark plug in my truck so my rear diff blew out. No connection.

Also, DO NOT USE THE OIL CHECK HOLE. Im not sure if that year had the heightset correctly, but most yz's had an incorrect hieght on the check plug, and youll blow ur tranny listening to that damn thing. Just take a measuring cup and measure out however much it says on the sidecase.

Hope this helps man.

Wow. Lots of miss information here.

First, on the OP question, dont run none of that auto crap, go to your motorcycle store, pick up some 2 stroke transmission oil. Ask the guy, hell know. Its a dirtbike, not a car.

Transmission is independent on a 2 stroke man. If you put the wrong oil in the tranny, you will have tranny problems. The tranny is completely independent from the crank, piston, everything. It probably fouled plugs because your top end was very worn, and it finally went out. Definatly not because you put the wrong tranny fluid in it did the piston fry. Thats like saying i put the wrong spark plug in my truck so my rear diff blew out. No connection.

Also, DO NOT USE THE OIL CHECK HOLE. Im not sure if that year had the heightset correctly, but most yz's had an incorrect hieght on the check plug, and youll blow ur tranny listening to that damn thing. Just take a measuring cup and measure out however much it says on the sidecase.

Hope this helps man.

very much so thanks alot I appreciate it

by the way next to fill hole it has 650cm^3 stamped on it? is that just 650 milliliters?

never, EVER use the oil check hole. measure out 650-750ml(cc's) of motorcycle gear oil (the exact amount should be stamped on ur clutch cover), i use 85w, and pour it in. ask any1 at ur local motorcycle parts shop for 2-stroke gear/transmission oil and theyll know exactly what to give you.

• 10 months later...
I searched but could not find exactly the answers I need. (I know I need a manual) what transmission oil and how much of it should I run in this bike? (1997 yz 125)?

i use castrol mtx 80w synthetic in my 1997 yz 125 and 2004 rm 125 and it work great you get so much more acceleration and power