Trouble finding 46t sprocket for '04 YZ 450

43 replies to this topic
  • Ga426owner

Posted May 19, 2009 - 08:59 AM

Both you and finch have recommended the 14/47 combo, so I am about to order a 47t. Thanks. If it doesn't gear it up high enough, I will eventually try a 15/48 setup (monkeyed around with Gray's chart last night).

I just noticed that your '03 is a big bore and you named her "the Beast." How fast is she? :snore:

Also, is it necessary to use new sprocket bolts when I install this new sprocket?

You will be happy with this set up - in tighter stuff the 15/48 may be better(I hope you already have a flywheel weight)

It is not how fast but how hard can you hold on for any length of time.....it will rip your arm sockets out if this is what your need for speed dictates :doh:

Yes definitey use new sprocket bolts/nuts

• grayracer513

Posted May 19, 2009 - 09:40 AM

They are similar, yes, but different. The 426 is geared slightly lower overall.

The 426 ratios are:

Primary: 2.952

1st: 1.846
2nd: 1.533
3rd: 1.278
4th: 1.091
5th: 0.952

• cdthompson426

Posted May 19, 2009 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for the help Gray

• guitarnut57

Posted May 19, 2009 - 11:52 AM

Do you guys think I will need to order a shorter chain since I'm going down from a 49t to a 47t? As the bike sits with the 49t, the axle is only 2 or 3 marks away from the front of the axle blocks (plenty of room for adjustment left).

• Ga426owner

Posted May 19, 2009 - 12:32 PM

Do you guys think I will need to order a shorter chain since I'm going down from a 49t to a 47t? As the bike sits with the 49t, the axle is only 2 or 3 marks away from the front of the axle blocks (plenty of room for adjustment left).

my advice buy the 120link quality chain and cut to fit with axle in center of adjustment area. As as it stretches it will move axle to the rear and you can always remove a link if it gets too far rearward...
Cutting it too short will not allow you to do this w/o adding a link and another master link :doh:

BTW is Ironman still in business selling sprockets? I need to order another 14/47 also and have had great luck with Ironman Sprockets lasting very very very long....in fact so long i am not sure they are still making sprockets :snore:

• FinchFan194

Posted May 19, 2009 - 05:08 PM

I am pretty sure Ironman is still in business. I just saw one of their ads in a magazine like a month ago or so.

• FinchFan194

Posted May 19, 2009 - 05:09 PM

my advice buy the 120link quality chain and cut to fit with axle in center of adjustment area. As as it stretches it will move axle to the rear and you can always remove a link if it gets too far rearward...
Cutting it too short will not allow you to do this w/o adding a link and another master link :doh:

BTW is Ironman still in business selling sprockets? I need to order another 14/47 also and have had great luck with Ironman Sprockets lasting very very very long....in fact so long i am not sure they are still making sprockets :snore:

This is great advice however if you want your 450 to turn a little better it is best to put it all the way forward and then remove a link later.

• grayracer513

Posted May 19, 2009 - 07:37 PM

This is great advice however if you want your 450 to turn a little better it is best to put it all the way forward and then remove a link later.

What makes a YZF turn better is exactly opposite that; running the axle as far back as possible. Doing that increases the weight on the front, and this is the approach taken by Langston, Stewart, et al.

• FinchFan194

Posted May 19, 2009 - 07:42 PM

What makes a YZF turn better is exactly opposite that; running the axle as far back as possible. Doing that increases the weight on the front, and this is the approach taken by Langston, Stewart, et al.

Darn. . .your right I had a headache when I wrote that but that was my point thanks for clearing that up:worthy:

• rdrata

Posted May 19, 2009 - 07:53 PM

That SS is the firshnizzle:cool:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted May 20, 2009 - 06:25 AM

The TT review answered my own question
and a new design
http://www.dirttrick...g_sprockets.htm

• Ga426owner

Posted May 20, 2009 - 06:41 AM

I found that this (moving the axle far forward)only made the frontend lift up easier on the 03-05. Which is not ideal for racing. I prefer my axle from the middle to the rear of the adjustment to turn better and hook up better for starts/ exiting corners etc...
I did however get my 03 to turn better by adding a StormRacing Link - others have changed the steering offset. These yr YZFs do not turn great no matter what you do, but they can be made to turn better than stock. The issue is a high center of gravity

• guitarnut57

Posted May 20, 2009 - 08:29 AM

The older YZ 450s are hard to turn as compared to the newer bikes, but I have adapted to mine over time. Actually, I love the way it turns now and have found ways to carve the inside line without the front end pushing too bad. And I am so glad you guys brought up the topic of axle position.

• FinchFan194

Posted May 20, 2009 - 12:48 PM

I found that this (moving the axle far forward)only made the frontend lift up easier on the 03-05. Which is not ideal for racing. I prefer my axle from the middle to the rear of the adjustment to turn better and hook up better for starts/ exiting corners etc...
I did however get my 03 to turn better by adding a StormRacing Link - others have changed the steering offset. These yr YZFs do not turn great no matter what you do, but they can be made to turn better than stock. The issue is a high center of gravity

As Grey stated in the other post I had it backasswards all the way to the rear is how I run mine or at least close.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 20, 2009 - 01:07 PM

np I see Ironman also sells a 46tooth

• guitarnut57

Posted May 20, 2009 - 06:56 PM

As Grey stated in the other post I had it backasswards all the way to the rear is how I run mine or at least close.

Just installed the 47t, and the axle is about 1/3 away from the last marker. Maybe it will help my bike turn better. :doh:

• guitarnut57

Posted May 21, 2009 - 07:32 AM

One last question for you guys. The sprocket is on and ready to run. I used gobs of red Loctite as I was torquing the new bolts/nuts, and they are on tight! When I check for tightness during practice this afternoon, should I put more Loctite on the bolts as I re-tighten them, simply re-tighten without Loctite, or just leave them alone since I have already torqued them extra tight?

• grayracer513

Posted May 21, 2009 - 07:45 AM

You will not have to worry about reapplying Loc-Tite. If your lock nuts are in good condition, the sprocket and the hub flange are clean and seated together squarely, and you tighten the nuts from the backside (NOT the bolts from the outside) you won't have a problem.

I'm not recommending against it, simply stating a fact: I don't use Loc-Tite on the sprocket bolts, and I don't have a problem with them.

• guitarnut57

Posted May 21, 2009 - 07:50 AM

Good deal. I cleaned the hub, used brand new bolts, tightened the nuts from the backside, and made sure the sprocket and hub flange were seated squarely. I'll check for tightness and let'r rip. Now I'll quit beating this dead horse of a thread and let you guys get back to business. :doh:

Thanks Again

• FinchFan194

Posted May 21, 2009 - 09:40 AM

So how was your ride?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.