Need tall setup help- Lower than Lowboy pegs

4 replies to this topic
  • writebrian

Posted May 18, 2009 - 10:24 AM

Posted this in General, but want more Yamaha attuned guys to answer. Any thoughts, ideas appreciated. :doh:

I have done all mods to my 06 YZ450 that were recommended on the site Pro Taper Windhams, bar risers, tall seat and lowered Fastways and the improvement has been huge!

But i am 6'5" and it's mostly in my legs (35" inseam) so I have a really hard time gripping the bike with my legs. They simply meet over the top of the bike. I came up with an idea and I want your opinion on. My thought is to use the lowboy peg mounts in the bottom hole only which will drop them by about another inch and then tig weld the perimeter to the frame to keep it from pivoting on the single bolt. Can you picture what I am talking about?

I did measure it and the mounts and pegs will not hang lower than the frame so I don't think it will decrease ground clearance any (bike has been resprung so I don't bottom out). Any other things I should consider? Think it would work?

• writebrian

Posted May 18, 2009 - 04:19 PM

You guys home from work yet?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikedabike

Posted May 18, 2009 - 06:23 PM

The Windam bars are only 99mm tall. If you us Renthal you can get a RC high which is 119 mm. Also if you switch to a upper triple clamp that lets you move the clamps forward it really opens it up. Lowering the pegs that much you might run into issues with them dragging in ruts or worse if they sit lower than the frame rails they might get caught on all sorts of things.

• writebrian

Posted May 18, 2009 - 09:24 PM

I thought of that also. According to my measurements they would be exactly even with the frame rails. Nothing hanging below.

I already have bar risers under my Windhams. However they are not forward moving, just cheap Tusk version. Wouldn't moving them forward cause you to have to bend your back MORE when riding standing?

• grayracer513

Posted May 19, 2009 - 05:09 AM

I already have bar risers under my Windhams. However they are not forward moving, just cheap Tusk version. Wouldn't moving them forward cause you to have to bend your back MORE when riding standing?

You are 6'5". I am, well I'm not 6'5". I did used to be 6', though. I run the Windham bend, and it was one of the best things I ever did to improve the bike.

The height of the bars was a factor, but more important was the fact that the bend moves the grips forward more than an inch compared to the Henry bend. With the Henrys, I found myself more often than not leaning back while standing to get a comfortable amount of clearance from the bars. This put a pulling load on my arms and shoulders that was unnecessarily tiring. With the Windhams, because of the more forward grip position, I can stand straight up in a very relaxed position, and even lean forward comfortably while maintaining good control at the bars. The steering response while seated is also better with the Windahms.

What I'm saying, then, is that I think you'll find that moving the bars forward will not cause you to bend more. Probably less, if anything. But certainly at your height, it should make you more comfortable.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.