flywheel weight to help with tall gearing( 08 yz450f)

7 replies to this topic
  • Jim813

Posted May 17, 2009 - 08:47 PM

My question is:

I went from the stock 13/49 on my 2008 yz450f to 14/47 to help in the faster sections in the desert. But, in tight technical riding and slow hills the bike is geared too high and tends to stall. Will a heavier flywheel help in these situations even with the tall gearing?

• grayracer513

Posted May 17, 2009 - 09:10 PM

Yes, it will.

• wondermuscle

Posted May 18, 2009 - 02:12 PM

My question is:

I went from the stock 13/49 on my 2008 yz450f to 14/47 to help in the faster sections in the desert. But, in tight technical riding and slow hills the bike is geared too high and tends to stall. Will a heavier flywheel help in these situations even with the tall gearing?

I have the same bike and run 14/46 in the desert. I added a FWW and it helped a ton in the tighter stuff with desert gearing. Although there is nothing that will rid the bike of stalling completely it certainly helped. Here is a link to my review of the GYTR FFW.

http://www.thumperta...3607&highlight=

• Jim813

Posted May 18, 2009 - 08:09 PM

Thanks for the help! I read the review and everyone seems very happy with the GYT-R flywheel, looks like the one to buy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamahaDude450F

Posted May 20, 2009 - 08:27 PM

I have the same bike as well, I use mine mostly for tight woods and tracks though. Im running 13/52 gearing with the heaviest gytr flywheel and lots of carb work. The thing that helped the most for stalling was the flywheel. With my setup i can let the clutch out in first and it will pull itself without even giving any throttle so i am very content with it. The other thing i did that made a huge difference was i added a boysen powerwing and cut out the screen on the air filter cage, that really opened up the bottom end and reduced stalling. Good luck!

• polarbear

Posted June 03, 2009 - 04:39 PM

Hows that chain gaurd handling the 52 rear sprocket? Is it gonna last or eat its way through it???

I have the same bike as well, I use mine mostly for tight woods and tracks though. Im running 13/52 gearing with the heaviest gytr flywheel and lots of carb work. The thing that helped the most for stalling was the flywheel. With my setup i can let the clutch out in first and it will pull itself without even giving any throttle so i am very content with it. The other thing i did that made a huge difference was i added a boysen powerwing and cut out the screen on the air filter cage, that really opened up the bottom end and reduced stalling. Good luck!

• YamahaDude450F

Posted June 03, 2009 - 09:06 PM

So far so good, i got about ten hours with this setup and there is no noticeable wear on the chain guide. However i did have to use a dremel tool to open up the chain guide so it would fit new o ring chain. I will buy a WR chain guide when it comes time to replace it because they have the o ring chain stock and it is the same bracket so it should fit nicely.

• wondermuscle

Posted June 04, 2009 - 06:20 AM

You should also look into the TM Designs chain guide. They last longer than either of the OEM parts.

Did I hear you say you took a dremel to the chain guide???? The chain will wear its own groove into the guide on the first ride.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.