Getting a little warm

5 replies to this topic
  • naroy2

Posted May 17, 2009 - 07:24 PM

My 03 wr 450 has never overheated until a few weeks ago riding some single tracks. It was about 70 degrees out and we were moving a little slow. (Good recipe for overheating thumpers, I know)

Anyways, it has continued to do this on singletracks but is fine on open trails. It finally spewed on me last weekend. I have played with the fuel/air screw adjustment and not helped anything. I have never checked the valves on it (3000 miles) and wondered what I oughtta do first: check the valves or adjust the needle jet? Either way, I'll have to load it up and take it to a friend to work on it because I'm lost when it comes to doing those things!

By the way, I put in a new impeller shaft, barren, and seals over the winter.

Any thought, ideas, or sugestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 17, 2009 - 08:48 PM

My 03 wr 450 has never overheated until a few weeks ago riding some single tracks. It was about 70 degrees out and we were moving a little slow. (Good recipe for overheating thumpers, I know)

Anyways, it has continued to do this on singletracks but is fine on open trails. It finally spewed on me last weekend. I have played with the fuel/air screw adjustment and not helped anything. I have never checked the valves on it (3000 miles) and wondered what I oughtta do first: check the valves or adjust the needle jet? Either way, I'll have to load it up and take it to a friend to work on it because I'm lost when it comes to doing those things!

By the way, I put in a new impeller shaft, barren, and seals over the winter.

Any thought, ideas, or sugestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Tell us more about your set up:

- jetting (ususally lean jetting is the main cause of overheating)
- exhaust
- fluid in radiator
-

• klossWR450

Posted May 18, 2009 - 01:56 PM

Hi, my '07 supermoto gets hot when I'm stuck in traffic never boiled though, I have Vapor tach fitted and observed it only cools down when revved well, when I'm cruising Harley style it only gets warmer, the coolant is pumped effectively when revs are 5000+ rpm, bigger impeler makes sense

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • naroy2

Posted May 18, 2009 - 03:25 PM

Factory exhaust, like I said, don't know nothing about jetting so I have no clue what the jetting is right now other than I'm satisfied with how it runs.

I had filled with engine ice to the amount that the owners manaul stated (can't remember what that was right now).

When the bike spewed, I filled back up to the full line on the over spill tank when the bike had cooled back down.

Thanks for your help!

• naroy2

Posted May 20, 2009 - 04:11 PM

Any body have a radiator cap go bad on the WR?

• IBLucky

Posted May 22, 2009 - 06:48 AM

If it's the stock jetting that the bike came with I beleive it's lean and that will make it run a little warmer

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.