Coolant draining fast out of drain hose? YZ426, not overheating though

25 replies to this topic
  • xnofriendsx

Posted May 29, 2009 - 08:29 PM

hehe, yeah, thats what i figured.

I think that maybe the smaller (sd type) bearing was not in all the way before i put in the bearing.
When i really looked closely at the area where it goes in, it seems like there are water-like deposits that may have made it so the smaller seal did not go in all the way and seal with the cover. When i cleaned that up, and greased up the now ruined seal, it went in really easy and looked plush.

Another thing is that i didn't use any grease when i put in the bearing so i will next time and hopefully it goes in a bit smoother. I think those may have been two faults of my own.

• grayracer513

Posted May 29, 2009 - 08:45 PM

The oil seal goes in first from the inside of the case, with the sealing lip facing in toward the bearing. If it's the correct seal, and you inserted it all the way, there is no reason for it to touch the bearing under any circumstance.

The bearing should be easy to install, but it has to go in straight. If it gets tilted as it starts in, you must straighten it out by tapping it on the high side until it squares up, and then "walk" the punch around the bearing race until it starts dropping in better.

• xnofriendsx

Posted May 29, 2009 - 08:58 PM

The oil seal goes in first from the inside of the case, with the sealing lip facing in toward the bearing. If it's the correct seal, and you inserted it all the way, there is no reason for it to touch the bearing under any circumstance.

The bearing should be easy to install, but it has to go in straight. If it gets tilted as it starts in, you must straighten it out by tapping it on the high side until it squares up, and then "walk" the punch around the bearing race until it starts dropping in better.

I had called BikeBandit.com earlier and confirmed that the seal WAS indeed the right seal. They gave me the part number and it was different than what the parts catalog on the Yamaha site was, but it turned out that they have updated that seal with a new part number. So it was all good.

I don't know why the seal tore a bit where the cirlce spring goes on. Sort of weird i guess. Something happened in there. All i can do is grease it all up really well and see how it goes next time.
The bearing was in straight, it was about 75% in AND straight and it was just hard to hit in, maybe cause of the lack of grease. But i had a ?mm socket and was hammering that sucker.
Thanks for the help....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lumpy790

Posted June 01, 2009 - 07:58 PM

In one of your posts you said the oil smelled burnt. That is a sign of a slipping clutch.

• xnofriendsx

Posted June 05, 2009 - 04:01 PM

In one of your posts you said the oil smelled burnt. That is a sign of a slipping clutch.

Yeah, it is probably a burnt clutch since it is the original clutch from 2002.
And since i ride 99% trails on a MX bike, i am sure it is jacked up from clutching it so much.

• xnofriendsx

Posted June 05, 2009 - 04:02 PM

Well, problem was fixed. It was just the water pump and nothing else.
My part came in just in time too, i have a race on Sunday.
Thanks for all the help.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.