clutch stopped working any ideas?

8 replies to this topic
  • racerx121

Posted May 17, 2009 - 05:00 PM

Guys,
I have a 2005 yz450f that I bought brand new. I was at the Mtn. Ridge GNCC today on mile 3 of the first lap and the clutch just stopped working. I thought it was the cable until I got home and washed the bike. The cable is fine? Any ideas. I changed the oil right before the race and change it regularly but I don't think it has anything to do with that. Before I pull the side case off I thought I would see if anyone else has experienced this? Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted May 17, 2009 - 07:13 PM

When you say "stopped working", do you mean that you cannot disengage it, or it will not longer hold any power?

• racerx121

Posted May 18, 2009 - 09:22 AM

When you pull the clutch lever in the arm on the cases moves but nothing happens.

There is no response or even the slightest bit of clutch engagement. The clutch lever would stay in if you let go of it.

I hope that explains it. If not let me know.

Thanks

• racerx121

Posted May 18, 2009 - 09:24 AM

I just rode out of the woods by starting in neutral and just slamming it in gear with no clutch.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • davidl9999

Posted May 18, 2009 - 09:27 AM

When you pull the clutch lever in the arm on the cases moves but nothing happens.

There is no response or even the slightest bit of clutch engagement. The clutch lever would stay in if you let go of it.

I hope that explains it. If not let me know.

Thanks

Yes, except you mean disengagement.
Expect to find a broken or bent piece of clutch actuator or one of the pieces the lever pushes on inside the cover.

• grayracer513

Posted May 18, 2009 - 09:39 AM

Yes, except you mean disengagement.
Expect to find a broken or bent piece of clutch actuator or one of the pieces the lever pushes on inside the cover.

Yep. The clutch engages; the lever and linkage DISengages, making it let go and release the coupling between engine and trans.

Like he said, remove the cover and the pressure plate. Look for damage to the release bearing, pressure plate, the push rods, or the release arm.

• nickeenoo

Posted May 18, 2009 - 09:45 AM

Sounds similar to what happened to me a few months ago. On my bike the nut on the main shaft had spun loose. After thorough inspection, no damage. I just replaced the fibers, plates and springs and tightened everything back up and all is good.

Nate

• grayracer513

Posted May 18, 2009 - 10:13 AM

Sounds similar to what happened to me a few months ago. On my bike the nut on the main shaft had spun loose.

That would do it, although it's a little unusual. Then again, so is almost anything else going wrong.

• racerx121

Posted May 20, 2009 - 05:39 PM

Guys,
First off Thanks for the advice. I finally had time to tear the quick access clutch cover off. I pulled the clutch apart and to my surprise the retaining nut was off. So I was relieved to see that there was no damage at all. I think we should post this as a service bulletin for all yz450's. That's now twice that this problem has been documented. I have never opened the clutch case on this bike. I bought this bike new and it has been maintenance free except for the usual oil filter, valve check etc.

I tightened the nut as best I could and bent both tabs on the nut. The manual says 75 ft lbs of torque.

Thanks again guys.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.