2007 WR450 Gas Tank

23 replies to this topic
  • OUTERLIMITS

Posted May 21, 2009 - 08:35 PM

Strange, their website says it uses the stock shrouds.:doh:

http://www.clarkemfg...ode=Yamaha WR-F

Pretty sure this is because their YZ tank was used on WR's and had to use YZ shrouds. Supposedly the new 3.6 gal WR tank does not.

• Mtn-Track

Posted May 22, 2009 - 07:24 AM

Just to throw another wrench into the fray...

Some have complained that the IMS tanks have better potential to boil the gas while the Clarke doesn't. Granted, the Clarke sits higher but it also supposedly lets a little more air around the top of the engine.
:doh:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KennyMc

Posted May 22, 2009 - 08:29 AM

Just to throw another wrench into the fray...

Some have complained that the IMS tanks have better potential to boil the gas while the Clarke doesn't. Granted, the Clarke sits higher but it also supposedly lets a little more air around the top of the engine.
:doh:

Is your understanding for all model years or pre aluminum framed?

• Mtn-Track

Posted May 22, 2009 - 11:08 AM

Is your understanding for all model years or pre aluminum framed?

After doing a little more searching on here it seems like the biggest problem was with the steel-frame bikes. There are also lots of complaints about which side the petcock is on. Here's one comment (of many) about the tanks:

BajaFool:
The issue with the IMS tank on the steel frame WR's is that the tank hangs down VERY low and the exhaust header is too close to the tank and right-hand fuel line at the tank outlet. Folks have watched their bikes burn to the ground because of this situation. A friend of mine left the remains of his burned 2005 WR in Baja Mexico after the fuel line melted and doused gasoline on a hot engine. For a time, several years ago, there were pictures of a bike that had burned on a Forest Service trail in one of the mountain states on this forum after the IMS tank had melted. Another friend had the fuel line melt on his IMS tank and he lost all of his fuel a long way from home while on a ride in Baja Mexico. IMS tanks for the steel framed WR's are a bad choice.

I have a Clarke tank on my 2008 WR and I am very pleased with the quality, fit and finish of this tank. It is reasonably priced as well. I am not familiar with the Clarke tank for the 2006 WR, however.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.