Strange sputtering

7 replies to this topic
  • Kasjok

Posted May 17, 2009 - 06:35 AM

I have an 08 YZ450F with JD kit, MRD exhaust, Vortex ignition and CP 13:1 piston installed. Bike used to run perfectly, but now it has started to act strange every now and then. It seems to sputter when I am in the air and giving it some more throttle (not fast really) and sometimes it doesn`t seem to rev up as cleanly as it should. It is actually very hard to even make bog. I really have to sap the throttle from idle to max as fast as I can to make it bog.

I tried using fresh fuel, took carb appart and cleaned everything with compressed air, but still nothing. Though I have to note that there were some dirt particles on the bottom of the bowl. Probably because the boot wasn`t tightened enough. At the moment I can only think of it has something to do with dirt getting inside. The boot was poorly tightened for about 4 hours.

I really hope it turns out to be something more simple and cheap then worn internals.

• rexbond007

Posted May 17, 2009 - 07:08 AM

Drain your fuel out of your float bowl 17 mm wrench , and go from there

• Kasjok

Posted May 17, 2009 - 09:10 AM

Obviously I allready did that when I used compressed air to clean the carb.

• mikedabike

Posted May 17, 2009 - 09:25 AM

Did you take all the jets out and look at them? Sometimes compressed air will just jam a piece of sand etc further up into the jet. Does it do it with the throttle closed? When you first get on the throttle, or wide open?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kasjok

Posted May 17, 2009 - 01:03 PM

I did not remove the jets. The bike seems to run all good, but the main problem is sputterin / hesitation once airborne or so does it seem.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 17, 2009 - 01:07 PM

check the ignition - maybe replace back to stock to see if the Vortex is faulty?

• TIG88

Posted May 17, 2009 - 01:14 PM

Check your AP timing.

• Kasjok

Posted July 03, 2009 - 05:22 AM

I had made a similiar thread somewhere in January. About sputtering and not running smoothly when throttle is between 1/8 and 2/3.

The problem seemed to fade away and come up again every now and then.
After messing with needle, pilot, ignition (had Vortex for a while), sparkplugs etc. I finally found the problem. It happened to be the JD red needle.

I tried the needle pretty much in every position. I got it running almost good, but sill there was some hesitation and/or sputtering. I now popped in the stock needle in stock position and it runs smoothly again. Problem solved.

Not trying to show JD as a bad product, as there are like 50 people who are 100% happy with it, but I happened to be the 51.

For information I am situated at sea level ( like 300-500ft) and temperature is about 70-90F.

Related Content

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.