Lactating '03 WR450F

7 replies to this topic
  • Domingo

Posted May 17, 2009 - 01:52 AM

Just a little, out the drain tube. Need for concern? Couple of milky droplets on the ground after a ride. First thought was the gasket, but no smoke and doesn't overheat.

• SXP

Posted May 17, 2009 - 06:54 AM

Just a little, out the drain tube. Need for concern? Couple of milky droplets on the ground after a ride. First thought was the gasket, but no smoke and doesn't overheat.

Don't sweat it. Condensation + oil mist = milky droplets. I imagine your humid climates make the condesation effect worse.

• Fullbore4

Posted May 17, 2009 - 11:09 AM

Also if you went through deep water, some water may have gotten in through the crankcase breather. Just check the oil and make sure its not milky colored.

• Domingo

Posted May 17, 2009 - 11:42 AM

Thanks Fullbore4 and SXP for your replies. I feel more optimistic now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Domingo

Posted October 24, 2009 - 04:17 AM

Well, the head gasket was blown and am currently on the last leg of removing the head.

I know there has to be more than 2 head bolts. Anyone know what other bolts I have to remove?

Already did checklist:
Chain tensioner
2 head bolts by kick start side
2 10mm nuts on side of chain cover

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Domingo

Posted October 24, 2009 - 05:22 AM

After contorting self, I figured it out that I have to remove the cams.
The search results here came up with no results on this procedure (guess this can become a reference thread on head removal)

Posted Image

Milky

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• tribalbc

Posted October 24, 2009 - 07:56 AM

I'd replace that cam chain too. How are the cam bearings ? They look a little beat in that shot.
I just rebuilt my 07. This tread may help a bit.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=833176

Make sure you follow the manuals instructions for retorqing head and cam cap bolts.

• ww44wrf450f

Posted October 25, 2009 - 04:05 PM

Are you gonna need to split the case and check all bearings and races -- it's a well deserving 03wr. How many miles on the bike? seeing that there's no winter driving where you live.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.