What exhaust do you use on your thumper?

15 replies to this topic
  • Ingvar

Posted September 02, 2002 - 10:52 PM

WB, SUPERTRAPP, PRO CIRCUIT, FMF, YOSHIMURA, etc.?
What do you think about them (advantages and disadvantages)? What does work good with OEM head pipes (yeah, it's compromise)?
What's the best in price-perfomance sense?
(for hard-core racers and(or) weekend warriors)

• lewichris

Posted September 03, 2002 - 04:25 AM

FMF power core 4 s/a , It is louder then hell and seems to give me a bit more top end. Peple riding behind you wont like it cause it just blares at them. But i love it. I think this pipe is more for the track. But hell the price was right.

• XC800.X

Posted September 03, 2002 - 06:03 AM

I run a used YZ muffler on my WR and am very pleased with.As far as performance and noise issues go, I don't know how it compares to aftermarket exhaust but it's a hell of alot better than my Canadian stocker. I paid $80.00 including shipping and couldn't be more satisfied. :)
Shawn

• SMD

Posted September 03, 2002 - 10:43 AM

Weekend warrior = FMF Mega Max2 with 5 discs.

• BigDesto

Posted September 03, 2002 - 10:59 AM

I put a stock yz muffler on! Works great for the tracks.When i hit the desert i put the stock wr muffler back on Because of the spark arres.

• diablo682

Posted September 03, 2002 - 01:18 PM

I bought my 98 400f with a White Bros. E series already on it. Not sure how much power it added to the bike but it sure sounds kick a$$! He gave me the stock pipe also but I see no reason to put it back on.

• tk421

Posted September 04, 2002 - 12:16 PM

I run a stock YZ 400 muffler (used, dirt cheap)

And a YAMAHA Stainless Steel header P/N-YZR-5GR93-10-SS

Both for under $200.

The header is bigger than the stock one and also allows for better access to the oil filter.
Posted Image

[ September 07, 2002, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: tk421 ]

• Scuba_Steve

Posted September 04, 2002 - 03:08 PM

A buddy of mine convinced me to get a Yoshimura system after I crushed the stock header. It was pretty pricy ($500 US), but I think it was worth it. The fit and finish are excellent, and absolutely no adjustments were needed to fit it to the bike. Needed to rejet a little richer, but the performance at mid throttle or above is outstanding!!! It stumbles a little below 1/4 throttle, but who rides that slow anyway!

It can be ordered with a spark arrestor and a tunble end cap that can limit the noise, but I dodn't get that option. Hope this helps...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jekel

Posted September 05, 2002 - 04:10 PM

I have a ssupertrapp on my 99. no complaints. :)

• Snapper

Posted September 06, 2002 - 01:35 AM

I have a stock WR muffler with 16 X 3/16th holes drilled in a ring around the 22mm centre core.

Derestricting the engine lead to excellent results but still quiet - FREE MOD!

• SealClubber

Posted September 08, 2002 - 05:51 PM

A WB e series came with the bike. Some people think it is loud and others don't. I just up shift or coast when I'm near pedestrians to keep the noise down just in case. I like the power compared to the stock one. If I have an extra $300 bones laying around I may get the FMF Q pipe.
Right now I have to fix a few other things after my getoff today. :)

• lewichris

Posted September 09, 2002 - 04:50 AM

Originally posted by Jekel:
I have a ssupertrapp on my 99. no complaints. :)

you will have a complaint about it after you put on a power core IV or a White Brothers.

• Chaindrive

Posted September 09, 2002 - 09:32 PM

REASONS I WANT A BIG GUN:
1) ceramic coating cuts down on heat
2) interchangable cores (Quiet and Race)
3) spark arrester
4) head pipe clears oil filter
5) may or may not make the most/ best power, but MUST be better than the stocker and is hopefully very quiet with the Quiet core

I could be wrong, but it seems to have more to suit my needs. I'll let you know (if and when I find one I can afford). The fact that you never see used ones for sale must indicate some satified customers..? :)

• levy1

Posted September 09, 2002 - 02:33 PM

I am using a DSP. Sounds great if you like loud which I do. It is a great top end unit. I am changing to a power-bomb headder with FMF pipe for more lowend.

• Jekel

Posted September 10, 2002 - 05:49 PM

Lewichris: I have tried a 99YZ400 with a Powerbomb/powercore? and wasn't real impressed. :)

• TonyRomero

Posted September 11, 2002 - 04:04 AM

I use Thunder Alley. It was priced fairly ($267) and works great.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.