YZ450 or WR450

33 replies to this topic
  • gunnin88

Posted April 02, 2013 - 08:16 AM

anyone have a source for WR tannys? I do a lot of tight single track and would love to make the switch. I'm running 13/ 51 and woods map but still a little difficult on the tight stuff.

• slothman

Posted April 02, 2013 - 12:08 PM

really depends on style of riding. based on your situation it sounds like a WR is the better route. Sometimes I wish I had that damn light and Estart lol.

• DrNation86

Posted April 02, 2013 - 04:22 PM

You can always strap a flashlight on the YZ haha but really i think it covers a wider spectrum of riders than a WR in riding styles and environments. Both are awesome bikes though!

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 24, 2013 - 11:10 PM

FYI, I bought a 2012 WR450F and lopped 20+ pounds from it fairly easily.

http://www.thumperta...pound-trim-off/

• f150jokerstyle

Posted September 25, 2013 - 05:16 PM

IMO, the close ratio trans of the YZ is a greater handicap in A than in the lower classes. (talking about desert racing here, as that is the OP's subject). Lighting a YZ well enough to race Expert at night can be a deal breaker. Not that a YZ can not be competitive, of course. But the WR's suspension and power can both be brought up to levels that are equal to a good modified YZ. True, the WR pales in a stock for stock comparison, but it is still good basic material for the purpose, if you ask me. The weight is less a handicap in the desert than in MX, or even Hare Scrambles.

There are a couple of nearly stock WR's racing in D38, in fact, and they do pretty well. As for what's needed to win at the Expert level, overall or within a class, look what the fast guys are on at the next race. It's still 75% rider.

Or more! My vote if I were going to stay yamaha again for sure would hands down be wr for desert racing. At this point I would trade the couple extra lbs over the money i have and still am dumping into my yz to make it more like a wr. Mine is an old 4speed that only adds to the problems of racing desert.

• grayracer513

Posted September 26, 2013 - 06:31 AM

When this thread was started, we were talking about the '07-'11 WR.  The 2012 model is a major game changer, and the WR is a much more serious piece than it previously was.

• NitrousR1

Posted September 29, 2013 - 07:27 AM

I've tried the 07-11 wr450 route myself and just couldn't make it work compared to my 06 yz450. The wr takes a considerable Amount of work to even make it comparable to the yz. The wr cams do make good low end torque but run out of steam pretty quick, and the wr's wide ratio gearing seems to exaggerate the lack of mid-top power.
Now once you replace the cams with stock yz cams or hot cams its a game changer and the added mid-top pulls the wr gears great.
In the past the e-start would not work with stock yz cams or hotcams but you can modify the yz cams to work with the e-start. Hotcams also corrected the issue with there older cams so they will e-start.
Full exhaust is a must as the stock exhaust is extremely restrictive and has poor throttle response until replaced. Also the GYTR AIS removal kit is a requirement. The kit also comes with a adjustable 7- clip needle and a throttle stop that allows full throttle compared to the 3/4 stock throttle stop. Jetting can easily be corrected as well.
Now after all this work and some weight reduction the WR is a fun bike although still feels heavy compared to a yz. I still have mine as its perfect for a long trail ride, but i wouldnt use it for racing. That e-start never gets old! Never had to kick it in years

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TX-SANDMAN

Posted October 08, 2013 - 08:10 AM

Full exhaust is a must

R1 --- what exhaust did you put on your 07-11 WR?

• NitrousR1

Posted October 08, 2013 - 04:34 PM

I went with the powercore4 with a power bomb header. The size difference of the header between the stock wr and a aftermarket header. Even a big difference between a yz and wr header.
You gain a great amount of throttle response from the exhaust. Stock the throttle response feels like a old honda xr compared to the yz

• f150jokerstyle

Posted December 28, 2013 - 08:10 PM

Or more! My vote if I were going to stay yamaha again for sure would hands down be wr for desert racing. At this point I would trade the couple extra lbs over the money i have and still am dumping into my yz to make it more like a wr. Mine is an old 4speed that only adds to the problems of racing desert.

I just thought I would give an up date here for the fun of it. I rode a friends 2013 wr450 today and WOW! First a little about me, I'm a novice rider that rides at an average amateurs pace without problem(In need of more transfers). I race district 37 and National hare and hound events and i'm 27 about 225lbs and stand 6'2. The Wr was stock minus the competition tuner(factory settings) and a fmf q muffler and the throttle stop replaced. My current ride is a 03 yz450 sprung, valved, gytr fww, carb work, reckluse, fmf power bomb with new style power core muffler, 18" rear wheel, scotts damper, flex bars, clark 2.8 gallon desert tank. The standard desert sled.

The Wr suspension was overall better than my current 03yz450 that has been sprung and valved many times over. The overall handling of the bike is a vast improvement. Quite simply the bike went where I wanted it to go with ease. Over extremely rocky terrain, baseball sized rocks it felt nearly as planted as it did on more clear trails at at all speeds experienced. 

The power had a very good hit on the bottom end. Not overly powerful but plenty to get any job done. The mid range and top end was much more forgiving than my older yz but in a good way for the most part. For example my old 03 I can grab a hand full of throttle out of a turn and honestly it pulls to a point that the bike is in control and i'm not. The Wr pulls to the point where depending on the circumstances it flirts with that line of being in control and not. The only place I can see this lack of overwhelming brute force being a negative is if you were in an all out drag race across the desert of someone of equal speed. Other than that it overall made me feel more in control and to a point faster due to confidence. To be honest I would like it to pull just a bit harder on the top but the low to mid is about perfect in my book.

Breaks absolutely no surprise here were not even in the same galaxy as my 03 equipment. 

Clutch same as breaks

The cockpit did seem a bit more cramped than my 03 at first but after a few minuets that feeling seemed to go away. If I were to add my flex bars with my odd ball rolled forward position I think I would have not had a second thought. This came as a huge surprise to me because in researching this bike in 2012 I all but wrote it off after hearing it was in a yz250f frame.

Electric start was cool and worked fine when I remembered it was there.

The whole weight issue now, If you crash and have to pick your bike up, It might feel heaiver. If you like to push your bike rather than ride it, It might feel heaiver. If you do anything other than ride it, It might feel heavier. Other than that, felt lighter than my 03.

My personal over all conclusion, I have been on the hunt for a new bike for a bit now. I read all the hype on the KTM 500exc, My buddy bought one and I have logged a few miles on it and just did not like it much over much more forgiving terrain than I rode today. The front of the bike and the back of the bike did not feel connected and the suspension was just paining weird. Another buddy has a for the most part works Honda 450x. I got about a quarter mile on that before I felt so cramped on it I thought I was on a 80cc bike with a 450cc motor. I have ridden newer Yz's and have not found the justification to upgrade in them.(to similar to my current ride) I have yet to try a green machine and have that lined up in the not so far distant future. Over all what I have been looking for was to ride a mostly stock bike that felt close to as good overall as my current ride and perhaps better in some areas. Today I can honestly say I did that.  :banana:  I'm not 100% sold yet, but I will for sure be studying this bike more in depth now until I'm ready to make a purchase.

Edited by f150jokerstyle, December 28, 2013 - 08:13 PM.

• RockerYZWR

Posted December 29, 2013 - 07:14 AM

Now that is an outstanding write-up! I've got an '11 WR that I've done a decent amount of work to and that is street legal. It is a true do-it-all bike and I love it, but I know it's heavy and doesn't turn great (I'm working on the turning). This write-up really makes me think of unloading it (and likely making money on the deal), and throwing in a couple grand to get into a new WR. Street legal-ness is cool, but I almost never use it for that. Tempting...

Edited by RockerWR450, December 29, 2013 - 07:19 AM.

• Bobby WR 450 lover

Posted August 12, 2014 - 09:56 PM

I have a 2011 wr450 and a 2014 yz450. I have 1200 miles on the WR. Runs great. I have not ran it easy, usually in 4-5 gear almost all the time. It's am excellent bike and handles whoops and big uneven bumps really well. I did the throttle stop and an Fmf pipe. Great bike! A little soft on the track but, it makes up for it on the trails. I also am 6'4 and weigh 220. The weight of the bike is nothing to worry about. Just practice hard and you'll be able to hold on and control the bike. The YZ450 on the other hand: built for raw speed and acceleration. I have the suspension set as soft as I can and take it on the same trails as the WR. It really pounds the heck out of ya. Then again, I'm not riding for comfort. I ride balls to the walls for as long as I can take it lol. The speed limit is 60 where I'm at and I'm passing cars while I'm on the trails. Fun :). Yz= pure speed and raw power. It gets there really fast and it's an animal. The WR is definitely just as fast in top speed (give or take). It can hit hard too..! Just turn the throttle all the way. Yz= play bike, Wr= comfort when wanted. Think of a Cadillac vs a Porsche. My opinion.

• mdsharon

Posted August 13, 2014 - 05:43 PM

Went from wr to yz and would never go back the wr would wear me out because of weight difference. Put in heavy flywheel and 50 tooth on back of yz and save so much energy I do even care about e-start anymore, bike starts on first kick anyway. Now if it was a new wr that maybe a different story. Just can't see spending the money when 06-09 yzs are 2-3k all day long... good luck..

• Navaho6

Posted August 13, 2014 - 07:19 PM

Went from wr to yz and would never go back the wr would wear me out because of weight difference. Put in heavy flywheel and 50 tooth on back of yz and save so much energy I do even care about e-start anymore, bike starts on first kick anyway. Now if it was a new wr that maybe a different story. Just can't see spending the money when 06-09 yzs are 2-3k all day long... good luck..

I did the same. Owned 2006 WR, 2009 WR, 2013 WR and now I have a 2009 YZ revalved for woods with 18" rear wheel and heavy FW weight.  The '13 WR steered well but just too heavy.  Lightest I could make the '13 WR was 268 with a lot of weight removed other than the e-starter.   YZ is 248 with full enduro trim.  20 lbs is a game changer at race pace.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.