TO LAP OR NOT TO LAP !!

1 reply to this topic
  • ThumperWR450F

Posted March 10, 2003 - 12:48 PM

if you lap the rotor and the key shears theres still a problem right ? ok ....now yamaha is supposedly switching the fly wheels (as read on another post)so if you lapped your rotor wouldn't that mean you've now changed the dimensions of the shaft? so the "NEW" flywheel yamaha is supposedly trying out would still have a bad taper due to the lapping since they are giving you a flywheel with the dimensions before the lapping !! i'm not sure exactly what part the lapping grinds down whether its the shaft or the rotor so maybe i am doing this post for nothing but this is just something that i took into consideration before i lapped the rotor.i am now the proud owner of 3 "SPARE" woodruff keys. that should hold me over till yamaha comes out with a fix for sure. i could be right or i could be way off target with this post but hey i'll never know if i don't post it right? i'd rather be safe than sorry !!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted March 10, 2003 - 04:02 PM

I think red loctite on the taper and thread will hold. Just torque once, loosen and retorque and leave the bike on its side for 24 hours or make sure it is drained of oil and it should last. I have checked my torque after every ride and it is holding up. I would not panic.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.