Complete tear-down, YZ450 {suggestions, advice or comments}

1 reply to this topic
  • Goosedog

Posted May 15, 2009 - 03:56 PM

Looks like a .50 cent part's gonna cost me big, the snap clip on my chain's master-link let go and the chain came apart and took a bite outta my leftside case...oil everywhere. And BTW, those nylon case-guards are crap...it just bent outta the way and let chain do it's worst.

Posted Image

Posted Image

So since I'll have to pull the engine and split the cases, besides all new bottom-end bearings and timing chain (plus gears on crank and cams)...what else should I do while I'm in there? BTW, the top-end has only about 50hrs on a big-bore kit but the bottom was original to '05 with probably 3 or 400hrs anyway. Trying to see the bright side here.

This, for me (like the "other" Goose's thread) will be my first time that far into an engine. I did the top-end on my ole 426 a couple years ago but that was while it stayed in the frame and I had a mechanic looking over my shoulder.

So now I'd love to hear advice and techniques but also what else would you do for maintenence and/or bling effect, if you were down to the frame on an '05 YZ? This is the bike as it is now and I like it fine so maybe I'll just PC the frame back to factory blue. Here again trying to look at the bright side of this costly chain failure.

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TD-3

Posted May 16, 2009 - 02:51 AM

When I replaced the crank in my 03:

* I took a bunch pictures of the disassembly process.

* Kept the manual within arms reach.

* Used ziplock baggies for the parts/bolts and labeled them (this alone was a huge time saver when it came time to reassemble).

* I also set aside a clean and organized work bench area for the motor and covered it with a towel when waiting for parts

All in all it was a pretty simple process.

Good luck! :doh:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.