Retarded question!! First oil change!!

8 replies to this topic
  • hyperflow

Posted May 15, 2009 - 03:28 PM

Ok well i just did my first oil change on my 08 yz450f. Can sombudy show me a picture of exactly where the over flow bolt is??? Cuz i thought i had it but oil started comming out from there pretty much right when i started puting some in so i guess thats not it. So before i start taking bolts of everyplace can sombudy show me a picture if posible.

I checked the dipstick but the oil is so new and clear its hard to tell if i over filled it or its right on the money.

• grayracer513

Posted May 15, 2009 - 04:10 PM

Your first mistake was in opening up the overflow bolt at all, at least until AFTER the engine had been started and run.

The second mistake was in checking the dipstick before the engine was run. Your engine is a DRY SUMP oiling system. There is a supply reservoir, where the dip stick is, and a the crankcase, where you pour the oil. The oil has to be pumped from the crankcase to the "tank" before it shows up at the dipstick, and until that is done, there is much more oil in the bottom than is supposed to be there during operation.

Read:
http://www.thumperta...903#post5221903

Here's the short form of the oil change procedure:

• Remove the dipstick. Failure to do this will prevent the supply reservoir from draining properly.
  • Drain the supply reservoir (drain plug at front left, below ignition cover) and replace the plug.
  • Drain the crankcase. (drain plug at right rear, behind frame rail)
  • Remove the oil filter cover, drain the well, service the filter, and replace the cover.
  • Fill the engine with EXACTLY 1 LITER of oil (most oil bottles have a 1L mark. Fill one to this line from a second bottle and pour it in)
  • Replace the dipstick and the filler cap.
  • Start and run the engine for about 45~60 seconds
  • Shut off, wait 30 seconds, remove and clean the dipstick. Drop it in without threading it and check the level on the dip stick.

If you do it this way, you will never need to use the overflow drain. To use the overfill drain correctly, you must first run up the engine to move the oil from the crankcase to the "tank". Then you can remove that bolt and let excess oil out, if necessary. The bolt is illustrated on 3-14 of your manual.

• hyperflow

Posted May 15, 2009 - 04:38 PM

I wasn;t even aware there was a drain plug on the right side of the bike, All i did was remove the left front drain plug, oil filter and overflow bolt. When i removed the over flow plug after draining the "tank" from what im reading. Oil came out from there so i tipped the bike on its side tell it stopped comming out.

Then i added .95L of oil, According to the dipstick i hit it right on. I guess after starting it and letting it idle for a bit i should remove that overflow bolt to see if i over filled it? OR is the dipstick the best way to check? :doh:

Man i would love to have a side glass window right about now.

• ROCKMOUNTAINTHUMPER

Posted May 15, 2009 - 04:47 PM

service manual maybe........:doh:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 15, 2009 - 08:07 PM

I guess after starting it and letting it idle for a bit i should remove that overflow bolt to see if i over filled it? OR is the dipstick the best way to check? :doh:

Man i would love to have a side glass window right about now.

Look in the manual. If the dipstick indicates over full, remove the overfill drain and allow oil to run from there until it stops doing so with the bike upright. Then don't worry about it.

If during future oil changes you do it the way I laid it out, it will go flawlessly, and you'll never need to check it twice.

• hyperflow

Posted May 16, 2009 - 02:59 AM

Thanks for the info :doh:

• MikeyT750

Posted May 16, 2009 - 03:39 PM

I am suprized that the dealer didn't go over the oil changing procedures or break in with you or, if it was a used bike, the guy you bought it from.

• grayracer513

Posted May 16, 2009 - 07:19 PM

I am suprized that the dealer didn't go over the oil changing procedures or break in with you ...

[sarcasm]Really? [/sarcasm] :doh:

• jrny426

Posted May 17, 2009 - 09:11 AM

Its important to note
DO NOT screw in dipstick when checking the level

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.