New chain and sprockets

10 replies to this topic
  • shovelhead1

Posted May 15, 2009 - 06:23 AM

I have an 01 yz426. I just installed a PD 14 tooth front sprocket,(same size as was on it). also installed a PD 52 tooth rear and PD o-ring chain. The old rear sprocket had a 50 tooth.

My question is; will I be able to tell a big difference in terms of low end performance? I can't try it out until this weekend. I was just curious. I have never changed a sprocket on a bike and went up in tooth count. I always just went back with whatever was on it.

• schwint11

Posted May 15, 2009 - 06:25 AM

ya you will be able to tell i just put a 53 tooth on and it had a 51 most the time you can just start in second

• spark250

Posted May 15, 2009 - 06:29 AM

You will tell a difference. But you will quickly get used to it. Depending on the type of riding you do it will be most noticeable in your gear selection. like in a certain section of a track or trail you could carry the bottom of third instead of screamin second?

• shovelhead1

Posted May 15, 2009 - 06:38 AM

Sounds good. I ride mostly trails and some open areas around old ore mines with some pretty tall/steep hills. I am having trouble when the trail gets really tight. Seems like I am stalling alot or having to ride the clutch. I read this change helps the bike lug better in situations like this and helps avoid stalling as bad.
I know most of it is the operator and not the bike.

• grayracer513

Posted May 15, 2009 - 07:43 AM

With a YZ and any realistic gearing, you are going to need to work the clutch hard in really tight sections, and that's just how it is. A lot of people opt for the Rekluse auto clutch for this reason.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jjsmx

Posted May 15, 2009 - 10:55 AM

I have a 426 and added tooth on the rear sprocket. It did help with low end but would have to agree that you have to work that clutch get through the technical stuff.

• shovelhead1

Posted May 15, 2009 - 11:57 AM

I didn't know there was anything like the Rekluse clutch until I joined TT. I actually have been thinking about getting one. I saw one in the TT classifieds and have just about talked myself into contacting seller. If it's still available.

• LEMMON1

Posted May 15, 2009 - 07:54 PM

mine 426 came with 13/49...i find that to work quite well, and i also tried a 13/47 and dont mind that on faster tracks...the 13/49 though pulls real hard without loosing any real topend to notice

• 642MX

Posted May 16, 2009 - 04:59 AM

I didn't know there was anything like the Rekluse clutch until I joined TT. I actually have been thinking about getting one. I saw one in the TT classifieds and have just about talked myself into contacting seller. If it's still available.

You should go for it. I'll never ride without a Rekluse again. :doh:

• grayracer513

Posted May 16, 2009 - 07:04 AM

If you go with a Rekluse, be aware there are different versions of it, with the newer "Pro" (correct me) being a big improvement over earlier models.

• 642MX

Posted May 16, 2009 - 08:54 AM

If you go with a Rekluse, be aware there are different versions of it, with the newer "Pro" (correct me) being a big improvement over earlier models.

Yeah Gray, you're right. The Pro version is a lot easier to use, install and adjust. The older z-start isn't a bad product, but its not as versatile as the Pro.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.