Stupid question

10 replies to this topic
  • SpyridonMexas

Posted May 14, 2009 - 11:22 PM

Do i have to remove the tank to change the spark plug on a YZ? and where is it located?:doh:

• husqy360

Posted May 14, 2009 - 11:33 PM

yes need to remove tank. plug located in the middle right on top of the engine.

you will probebly need a swivel wranch. depend on year.

• gdbarr1976

Posted May 15, 2009 - 06:11 AM

I will have to disagree. You do not have to remove the tank. It is tite but doable. You will need the spark plug wrench that came with the motor. It swivels and a 14mm wrench. Actually getting the plug out is easy. Getting the spark plug cap off is the trick. But it can be done.

• spark250

Posted May 15, 2009 - 06:15 AM

I think it's a grand total of 4 bolts to get the tank off and make your life a lot easier!

• Wiz636

Posted May 15, 2009 - 07:36 AM

I think it's a grand total of 4 bolts to get the tank off...

Sure about that?

But I agree that it is easier to just remove the tank than try to get the plug cap off and on with the tank on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • spark250

Posted May 15, 2009 - 07:43 AM

Sure about that?

But I agree that it is easier to just remove the tank than try to get the plug cap off and on with the tank on.

There was a hint of sarcasm there...:doh:

• gdbarr1976

Posted May 15, 2009 - 08:01 AM

I seem to have more trouble getting those screws back in holding the shrouds to the radiator then getting the plug out.

This how you do it.
1. Get a beer of your choice and a stool.
2. Turn on some good music
3. Call your buddy that has the same bike and have him/her come over and do it for you.
4. Make sure you offer them a beer.
5. Figure out why you are changing your plug in the first place. My experience has been if I am changing a plug then there is another problem I need to fix and it is usually tite valves.

• grayracer513

Posted May 15, 2009 - 08:16 AM

I seem to have more trouble getting those screws back in holding the shrouds to the radiator then getting the plug out.

Especially when using an oversize tank. That's why I pull the shrouds off the tank instead. One of these days, I'm going to run a stud and an acorn nut in the front shroud bolt hole and make my life simpler.

• SpyridonMexas

Posted May 15, 2009 - 09:26 PM

Getting the spark plug cap off is really tricky...any suggestions?

• husqy360

Posted May 15, 2009 - 10:15 PM

just pull it as hard as you can.

1 hand from each side.

carfull on wires.

• mikedabike

Posted May 16, 2009 - 01:50 AM

Getting the spark plug cap off is really tricky...any suggestions?

Unplug it from the wires. I comes right out then.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.