2002 WR426 won't stay running once black cold start button is pushed in?

25 replies to this topic
  • swede426

Posted May 20, 2009 - 11:52 PM

Brake cleaner is nice for cleaning carbs and jets, but dont use it on rubber or plastics just for safe.
Sounds like it's lean if the exhaust turns red fast so dont ride it until you fixed it!

• ww44wrf450f

Posted May 27, 2009 - 02:37 PM

James how'd you make out?

• james2082

Posted May 28, 2009 - 03:17 PM

I couldn't get the bike running. Took it the the local Yamaha dealer. They tore the carb apart and got it running. Once I got the bike home, it started right up, took it for a 1/2 mile trip around the block and it just flat out quit in 3rd gear, while it was running fine. I'm getting spark, and compression is good (according to the dealer) I'm absolutely frustrated now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted May 28, 2009 - 03:19 PM

Replace the pilot, flush the fuel tank, remove the float bowl, ensure there is no debris in it.

Did the dealer flush the tank?

• james2082

Posted May 31, 2009 - 03:56 PM

Embarrassed now. I knew there was gas in the tank so I unplugged the line from the pit cock (think that's what you call it), and no gas was coming out. Turned to reserve and what do you know, gas flowed. I am surprised at how much gas is in the tank but does not flow when "on" is selected. Runs great now. Guy at the dealer said to never use stable and to drain the tank and float bowl every winter. Live and learn I guess. Thanks for all of the responses.

• William1

Posted May 31, 2009 - 05:02 PM

So... you need a new petcock?

Stabil is a good thing to keep in the bike. Either that or completely drain (this means pull the tank, get every drop, remove the float bowl, make it dry.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.