the yami450s power

16 replies to this topic
  • YZ250brohan

Posted May 14, 2009 - 07:30 AM

I own a yz250 smoker and lets say im in love but I got a good deal on a left over 08 yami 450 today and I think im gonna make the move to purchase the bike im not usually not a power hungry tool and id go for suspension and handeling over power anyday but I keep reading in forums and some dino charts that yami lacks behind in the pony department in a 450 shootout with its competitors is this true? or some kind of sales pitch? and if it is true whats causing it and how can it be corrected?

thx
ride blue

• 426 NOOB

Posted May 14, 2009 - 07:58 AM

I own a yz250 smoker and lets say im in love but I got a good deal on a left over 08 yami 450 today and I think im gonna make the move to purchase the bike im not usually not a power hungry tool and id go for suspension and handeling over power anyday but I keep reading in forums and some dino charts that yami lacks behind in the pony department in a 450 shootout with its competitors is this true? or some kind of sales pitch? and if it is true whats causing it and how can it be corrected?

thx
ride blue

They are a few ponies shy up top, but most of it is because the pipe is choked up mostly for sound reasons. By putting a full Dr.D system or equivalent and spot on jetting it hangs right there with the best of them.

• YZ250brohan

Posted May 14, 2009 - 08:14 AM

never herd of dr d what pipe would give the most gains? ive always used yoshimara on my suzukis and I could swear they added alil snap on the end of all my gears never tried it on a yami though I wounder if it would matter

• live4speed

Posted May 14, 2009 - 08:16 AM

i think its funny as hell when these magazine say a 450 is "slow" hahaha they said my RMZ was slow and it was faster than the bike they said was "scary" (kx 450) the yammies may be a pony shy, but if you can ride the bike, who cares...lets face it, not many people can use the full band of a 450... plus the yammies hold together really well.. go for it dude.. I ride a Honda now just cuz i wanted to see what the fuss was about, and it is great, but not worlds better than my ole RMZ...

• 426 NOOB

Posted May 14, 2009 - 08:24 AM

never herd of dr d what pipe would give the most gains? ive always used yoshimara on my suzukis and I could swear they added alil snap on the end of all my gears never tried it on a yami though I wounder if it would matter

On average, I have seen more people in this forum use a Dr.D pipe on their 450 than any other brand. Their quality is awesome, and customer service is the best. Plus you can get a full system for about $500. They add to the hit in the low to mid and a bit up top. http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=727858

• 426 NOOB

Posted May 14, 2009 - 08:27 AM

most pipes are good. To say that one is better than the other would probably be a lie unless you have a dyno and do extensive testing. The best way to narrow it down would be to search around on the forum and see what people have to say about each one. Then take price into consideration.

• grayracer513

Posted May 14, 2009 - 08:50 AM

The situation with the '08-'09 YZ450 is not so much a lack of peak power, as the "soft spot" in the mid range at around 5000-6000 RPM. The "shorty" exhaust is the cause, and almost anything you install on the bike cures the problem, completely changing the power character of the bike. No one has called an '08 equipped with a decent exhaust weak to my knowledge.

Dr. D is Dubach Racing Development, one of the very best aftermarket companies working with the YZF line (as well as others). Doug Dubach was a Yamaha factory test rider for several years and is still involved with developing stuff for the bikes. He also has 15 Vet World Titles, incidentally. His stainless exhaust systems provide a wide, very useful power curve with good top end, and are an excellent value, IMO. They are available with a removable spark arrestor installed, also.

• Justin89

Posted May 14, 2009 - 09:21 AM

I just sold my 2008 kx450f; It was a MDK race bike. MDK everything, suspension, motor, etc. It had good power, good suspension, etc but the cost of keeping that bike maintained was insaine. I never felt comfortabe riding it (as in afraid of it blowing up, which it did:banghead: ). Now, I just got a brand new 08 yz450f; all stock and shiny :snore:. Let me tell you, I would take this bone stock yamaha over that kawi any day...even just the piece of mind and reliablity was enough to make switch(back) :doh:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bud

Posted May 14, 2009 - 10:27 AM

ride the bike before you make any changes. i just got a new leftover 08 450f, i weigh 175 lbs, ride mx only, vet c class, and it is as if the bike was built for me. the suspension is spot on perfect, and i like the power the way it is, i can ride longer and consistent, i even like the gearing for the tracks i ride(not to wide open and not to tight). i dont plan on changing anything on the bike for now, only thing i did was get extra air filters.

• yamadog48

Posted May 14, 2009 - 04:37 PM

i race offroad A open class on a 08 yz450 w/ a drd system and in the tight stuff it sometimes feels like its to much.but it is way better than stock...

• Family Man

Posted May 14, 2009 - 09:24 PM

what year yz250 you got and how much exactly is the hot deal?

• YZ250brohan

Posted May 15, 2009 - 03:05 AM

i bought it in back in april in 08 brand new it was a left over 05 lol I stole it for 3200 out the door I race c 250 down here in florida and I love the smoker!

• YZ250brohan

Posted May 15, 2009 - 03:06 AM

little has changed on the bike since 05 I think maybe they messed with the forks but I dont plan on running stock suspension in b class

• YamaLink

Posted May 15, 2009 - 04:26 AM

Adding to the other posts, I actually prefer the stock "choked up" stock pipe 08 YZ450 for very long and technical enduros where I don't want that extra midrange hit yanking on my arms for 6 or 7 hours. But in the desert a Dr. D pipe transforms the entire personality.

• dogg502

Posted May 17, 2009 - 05:04 PM

I thought my 08 yz450 was lacking a good amount of juice compared to my friends bikes. But I put a fmf 4.1 pipe on her and fixed everything!

• husqy360

Posted May 17, 2009 - 05:44 PM

my 06 feel just as strong if not stronger then 07 rmz 450.

• SkyHarborCowboy

Posted May 17, 2009 - 06:24 PM

Dr. D is Dubach Racing Development, one of the very best aftermarket companies working with the YZF line (as well as others). Doug Dubach was a Yamaha factory test rider for several years and is still involved with developing stuff for the bikes. He also has 15 Vet World Titles, incidentally. His stainless exhaust systems provide a wide, very useful power curve with good top end, and are an excellent value, IMO. They are available with a removable spark arrestor installed, also.

Not only that, he is the step son to my Pine Junior High Gym Coach! Doug is as nice as they get! Coach Van would either jog or ride a bike to work everyday. My last name is Godoy but Coach Van used to call me Badoy because I was a big time practical joker!

Joe

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.