Would Like More Throttle Response And Low End Out Of My 09 Yz450

7 replies to this topic
  • JESSEH833

Posted May 13, 2009 - 07:06 PM

Already Got Full Exhuast. Jetted Perfect. One Tooth Bigger On Sprocket. Please Help. Would A Quickshot Help!

• grayracer513

Posted May 13, 2009 - 08:29 PM

Jetted Perfect.

If that were true, you'd have no complaints about throttle response. You don't need a QS. You need to tune the AP, and possibly go with a needle with a main diameter one size smaller.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 14, 2009 - 05:47 AM

don't shoot me grey - Here are a few ideas that cost 100-250 bucks

I have been hearing some good things from folks that are using the Loudmouth Airfilter system for better lowend - I have yet to try one but would offer my bike to test one....hint hint Loudmouth

I also have seen the the R&D Floatbowl/Adj LJ as well as the Merge Racing Adj LeakJet kit add better throttle response.

On my 03 I have tried a quickshot, powernow and these help but I found the JD Jetting kit offers better throttle response and I am testing the oring mod on my 03 currently to see what the benefit is. (I still want to test a R&D Floatbowl to see if there is a benefit to having a Adj LJ on a none equipped FCR carb on the 03)...anyone have one laying around?

• grayracer513

Posted May 14, 2009 - 07:09 AM

I really doubt there is any benefit to the Loudmouth air filter, but some solid independent tests would be nice to see.

Devices like the Power Bowl and the ALJ dont really accomplish anything that can't be done with the stock carb as equipped. It's just accelerator pump tuning. The Merge ALJ will make the process faster, though, and that may make it worth the price. The Power Bowl is just too expensive, and the bowl itself offers no advantage of any kind over the ALJ. If R&D has a pump cover with an adjustable leak like the Merge ALJ, the two could be compared.

Another thing that can be added is the stiffer AP linkage spring from Merge. It does what the O-ring mod does, but does it in a much more workmanlike manner.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Justin89

Posted May 14, 2009 - 09:25 AM

Replace your cams with OEM 06' cams:thumbsup:

• husqy360

Posted May 14, 2009 - 02:40 PM

what about cutting the air filter cage screen ?

• Justin89

Posted May 14, 2009 - 03:44 PM

I dunno if that works either way. I've seen people with hondas catch on fire..no joke

• grayracer513

Posted May 14, 2009 - 04:03 PM

Has no effect on YZF's dyno tests done by Doug Henry's SM crew tried several different air box configs and ended up leaving the screen in.

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.