stripped frame threads

8 replies to this topic
  • steve_97060

Posted May 13, 2009 - 03:16 PM

I'm trying to put my bike back together (06 YZ450) after a fairly severe crash some months ago which tweaked the subframe among other things. While trying to reattach the subframe to the frame on the kick starter side I found the threads stripped out, what kind of suggestions do you have for a fix. Helicoil, timesert, or could I use a longer bolt thru the frame with a nut instead? I don't think there is anything that would hit it and it would be an easier fix I think...

thanks for any input..

• 642MX

Posted May 13, 2009 - 03:47 PM

A heli-coil should work fine. Thru-bolting would probably work too, but its not as 'clean' looking.

• usmcpaul

Posted May 13, 2009 - 06:36 PM

+1 on the Heli-coil. Fairly cheap, fairly easy, very strong, when done correctly.

• BC3

Posted May 13, 2009 - 07:52 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]Yeah definitely Heli Coil it....so much nicer and will be stronger than stock threads [/COLOR]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • davidl9999

Posted May 13, 2009 - 07:55 PM

+1 on the helicoil. Cheaper than a timesert.

• Birdy426

Posted May 13, 2009 - 07:58 PM

When you install the heli-coil, you may have to install from the back side to avoid opening up the thru hole on th eoutside "leg" of the clevis...

• steve_97060

Posted May 13, 2009 - 08:10 PM

thanks for all the input guys... I've never done a heli-coil before so I will have to do some research...

• BC3

Posted May 13, 2009 - 08:16 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]Buy a kit, they have everything to complete the install[/COLOR]

http://www.nationalt...CFRFWagodclkUcw

• grayracer513

Posted May 13, 2009 - 08:42 PM

When you install the heli-coil, you may have to install from the back side to avoid opening up the thru hole on the outside "leg" of the clevis...

Another great point, Birdy.

Heli-Coils should always be installed from the side the bolt enters from. The "bottom" of the coil isn't as prone to thread the bolt as cleanly as the top.

Note: '03 and up subframes have the threaded upper mounting hole drilled through from the factory, so one might be tempted to install the Heli-Coil from the outside, which would not be preferable. It could be drilled or threaded from there on the later frames, but the insert should go in from the inside. Earlier frames have a blind hole at that point.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.