Can u add fork oil through bleeder screw?

12 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted May 13, 2009 - 12:24 PM

Can you add some forkoil through the air bleeder screw on kayaba forks (esepically the forks on a 06 yz450).

I need to add about 10ml to mine so they wont bottom so bad on big jumps.

I Dont want to have to take a lot of stuff apart to just add 10ml's of oil.

I just simply want to add 10ml's,and was wondering if the oil would go to the outer chamber or go inside the basevalve(damper assembly) whatever.

They has to be a way to add this oil without having to take the handlebars off, loosen the top clamp, take off the forkcap, take the forks off......I mean there has to be a way to just add a simple 10ml's of oil.

Can someone solve this mystery?

• grayracer513

Posted May 13, 2009 - 12:38 PM

Yes, you can. The bleeders vent the outer chamber, not the inner.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 13, 2009 - 12:56 PM

Thank You very much!.....And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!:doh:

• rufusz

Posted May 14, 2009 - 01:59 AM

And can the same be done on a 02 426?

• Ga426owner

Posted May 14, 2009 - 05:19 AM

yes you can fill them this way, 10mm is a big jump all at once. I would go 5mm and see what results are first. what is the current oil height? 350cc is the recommended oil height on a 06, are you running stock springs? Don't you weigh around 175?

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 14, 2009 - 07:23 AM

yes you can fill them this way, 10mm is a big jump all at once. I would go 5mm and see what results are first. what is the current oil height? 350cc is the recommended oil height on a 06, are you running stock springs? Don't you weigh around 175?

Yes! The current oil height is 12 US ounces and Iam running stock springs.

I just weighed myself and weigh 171.4 and figure with riding gear on is 180lbs.

The reason for the added oil amount is cause on this one jump at the track which is 90ft triple when I land I hit hard. It makes my head wont to hit the bar pad or feels like my head wonts to slap.

I turned the compression clickers in and keept turning in and it seemed to help but I had to turn them in 6 clicks to achieve(to only 8 clicks out from fully turned in). That was the reason to add 10ml of oil.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted May 14, 2009 - 11:02 AM

12FLoz equals 354.88 cc's not 350cc's.....so you are already at almost 5cc's over. 10cc adds 14.88 cc's and this is too much oil and will cause harshness

you may want to soften up the compression first to compensate for the extra 4.88cc's

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 14, 2009 - 02:11 PM

I dont know were you are looking at the standard fluid amount for a 06 but my manual that came with the bike say's the stanard oil amount for the outer tube is 355cm3 which equals 12.0 US ounces (actualy 12.00255)

And the extent of the adjustment is from 300cm3 to 380cm3 which is10.1 to 12.8 ounces US. The .8 ounces = 23.656 ml(cm3) I added 10ml(cm3) subtracted from the .8 gives you 13.656 ml(cm3) left over so If I needed to add any more I could technicaly according to the manual.

And if I ever needed to go down in oil I could go as low as 300cm3(10.1 US ounces) But I wont so Iam goint to try this adjustment to see if it stops the hard landing off this jump and if it does I will leave it and I may sometime might have to sften it by turnining the clickers out.

• grayracer513

Posted May 14, 2009 - 03:50 PM

I dont know were you are looking at the standard fluid amount for a 06 but my manual that came with the bike say's the stanard oil amount for the outer tube is 355cm3 which equals 12.0 US ounces (actualy 12.00255)

And the extent of the adjustment is from 300cm3 to 380cm3 which is10.1 to 12.8 ounces US. The .8 ounces = 23.656 ml(cm3) I added 10ml(cm3) subtracted from the .8 gives you 13.656 ml(cm3) left over so If I needed to add any more I could technicaly according to the manual.

And if I ever needed to go down in oil I could go as low as 300cm3(10.1 US ounces) But I wont so Iam goint to try this adjustment to see if it stops the hard landing off this jump and if it does I will leave it and I may sometime might have to sften it by turnining the clickers out.

All of that is quite true, but in actual practice, 5cc a side has been shown to make a fairly big difference. Proceed in small steps or you will find yourself having to remove the fork in order to drain some back off.

The only reason Wiz and I use such a different amount in ours is because of the oil type we use and the revamped mid valve.

• yz450fast

Posted May 14, 2009 - 07:51 PM

hey back to the weight thing. i dont know about yours, but my gearbag weighs like 50 pounds!

• Family Man

Posted May 14, 2009 - 09:33 PM

I feel confident with my clickers set at 6-8 clicks out from bottomed, with 7w fork fluid. Are you experiencing harsh bottoming? Harsh bottoming is the sign to add more fluid. Or is it to soft in the whole stroke? It may be time to change your fork fluid.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 15, 2009 - 10:27 AM

ok the manual says this......and the manual says a lot of other crap also (made for the masses)
....The real world reality is that 350cc is where you want to start. If you need to increase go 5cc's at a time

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 18, 2009 - 04:50 AM

ok the manual says this......and the manual says a lot of other crap also (made for the masses)
....The real world reality is that 350cc is where you want to start. If you need to increase go 5cc's at a time

Thats is true. But if you know how bad something is and know how much you think will do the job then you have to go on that.

I got to try it out yesterday when I raced and it performed great. That 10ml made the day. I had the compression set at 8 out and rebound at 8 out and it felt great. It was real muddy too yesterday morning and due to all the mud sticking up underneath the fenders and adding more weight the 10ml's was what I needed.

Then by 1:30pm the track dried alot and they turned the dirt so it could dry even more and when I went back out for my second motto the track was fast and my forks felt better than they ever have. I race 30+am and out of 30 riders (10, 30+ riders-7 schoolboy riders-9 colleague boy riders total of 26 riders starting at once. I was third coming out of the gate to the first turn and finished 3rd overall.

If I hadnt have put the extra 10ml's of oil in the forks theres no way I could have rode as fast as I did. The forks would have been given me a fit cause they would have been just giving out.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.