Adding a another 35watt bulb? Help

8 replies to this topic
  • phynx

Posted May 12, 2009 - 03:33 PM

Hey guys! Will I be okay if I add another 35watt bulb (mini fog light) on to my battery while riding my 03' wr450? I want to mount a light to my helmet. Everything is stock (stator). Will I harm or kill anything?
Or, will I have to modify anything?

Thanks TT members!:excuseme:

• Dube2

Posted May 12, 2009 - 06:57 PM

I'm pretty sure it will slowly discharge the battery. Stator wont keep up and only good for the stock head/tail light and not much else. just my opinion. Baja Designs makes a stator up-grade that will give you more watts.

• phynx

Posted May 12, 2009 - 07:25 PM

I'm pretty sure it will slowly discharge the battery. Stator wont keep up and only good for the stock head/tail light and not much else. just my opinion. Baja Designs makes a stator up-grade that will give you more watts.

Do you have an idea of what the stock out-put is?

• William1

Posted May 13, 2009 - 09:19 AM

All depends on what year WR you have. Stock stator on the current breed is a split 65/55 watt unit, with 55 staying as AC for the headlight and 65 being rectified to DC for the battery, CDI and tail light.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • phynx

Posted May 13, 2009 - 01:33 PM

All depends on what year WR you have. Stock stator on the current breed is a split 65/55 watt unit, with 55 staying as AC for the headlight and 65 being rectified to DC for the battery, CDI and tail light.

William, I have a 2003 model. Is there a difference? The head lamp bulb is stock also. Is Ricky stator a requirement here to add second bulb (35-55 watts more)? Thank you for the help.

• William1

Posted May 13, 2009 - 04:21 PM

No, to make it possible to add an additional draw of 35 watts, you are in for some re-wiring.
You need to do the BD stator mod, easy and cheap to do, takes me about 30 minutes, working slow. It combines both coils and outputs a single 110 watt. Then you replace teh reg./rect with a BD one that has the capacity to deal with the greater output. Then you need to change the headlight power to come from the battery. Several ways to do this.

• TLRam1

Posted May 15, 2009 - 08:12 AM

Thanks William, do you know the output for the 04 WR450, is it the 65/55 also?

• William1

Posted May 15, 2009 - 08:28 AM

Yup, changed in 03, prior models had less and a slightly different setup, I think. BD probably has the definitive answer on the outputs over the years and what you can expect.

• Birdy426

Posted May 15, 2009 - 09:42 PM

Thanks William, do you know the output for the 04 WR450, is it the 65/55 also?

00-02 426's had 135 watts of all AC, and 98-99 400's had 90 watts of all AC.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.