2000 426 questions

12 replies to this topic
  • Greasewood426

Posted May 12, 2009 - 01:32 PM

Okay, not sure what I'm getting into, but I'm getting a 2000 yz426. My main concern is keeping maintenance up so it will last as long as possible. The bike was owned by a manager at a Yamaha dealership. It has new top end (Yamaha racing cam, Yamaha piston) new Yamaha desert clutch, new Barnett clutch basket, new o-ring chain and sprockets, new cables, and fmf exhaust. I would like to get an hour meter, and maybe a kick-stand and larger foot-pegs. Also, he said he just uses Yamaha 20w-50 oil in the summer, but I've seen lots of guys claiming the synthetic is better. Any suggestions on kick-stands, foot-pegs, best oil for hot desert riding, and maybe those fork-seal savers, or any other suggestions for a new 4-stroke owner?

• Chuck144

Posted May 12, 2009 - 01:37 PM

Not sure about the tems you are looking at but...I had an 01 426 for years and it was one of the most troube free bikes I have had. Great power and low maintenance!
Enjoy.

• jjsmx

Posted May 12, 2009 - 03:16 PM

I have a 2000 yz 426 and it has been a great bike. I don't use a kickstand but I have some wide foot pegs which are pretty comfortable. I run OEM fork seals. I have tried others but they just end up leaking sooner. If you are riding in sand and/or mud use some fork savers and clean them after every ride. Synthetic oil holds up longer but some guys I know use a cheaper natural oil and change it frequently. Personally, I use semi-synthetic. 20w 40 is good most of the time. 20w 50 is good for warmer temperatures. Have fun!

• Greasewood426

Posted May 12, 2009 - 06:26 PM

Thanks for the info. I just got the bike, and only had time to ride for a few minutes, and wow that bike has some power! The suspension is great too.

• cowboyona426

Posted May 13, 2009 - 06:44 AM

I would look into getting a Scotts stainless steel oil filter for it, you can wash it and re-use it instead of throw it away. Other than that, just keep the air filter clean and change the oil regular and you'll be set. Sounds like a sweet bike! My 00 426 was the best bike I have ever owned, I often regret selling it and buying an 06. I think you'll really enjoy that bike, just don't ride a newer 450 because you'll be disgusted by the weight difference :doh:

• DrThumper

Posted May 13, 2009 - 08:27 AM

Pro Moto Billet makes a great kickstand for the 426. A bit spendy, but well worth it.

I may also recommend a '01 clutch set-up (search TT)...frankly I don't know what a 'desert' clutch is, but the '00 had a clutch that was very hard and grabby. The '01 model it was improved quite a bit. You can keep that basket, it's a good choice, the '01 clutch mod is plates, shafts and a ball bearing.

Also look into a PowerNow or better yet, a FreePowerNow (search TT). An accelerator pump cover is also a good mod (Factory R&D or Boyeson).

I've had my '00 for nine years now. A handful of valve adjustments and one total top-end (valves, guides, chain, piston, etc). Runs like a banshee! The SS oil filter and synthetic oil is a really good suggestion too. Keep up on the periodic maintenance and she'll last for years.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • davyphelan

Posted May 13, 2009 - 12:02 PM

i have a 426 myself and i love it i got a spurios kickstand for it for 25$ works a charm all i can say is the same as every one else change oil and air filter very frtequent and u will have no trouble but my luck i need some front forks can i have urs please ah only messin gettin 450 front forks ment to be better and get a acroprovic exhaust system not just the can there is some sound out of it

• Greasewood426

Posted May 13, 2009 - 12:19 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Its a great bike, maybe a little too much for me! I'm thinking I might want to lower the bike somehow, and I've read a few articles, but is there a simple inexpensive way to lower it 1 to 2 inches? I will not be doing any serious or hardcore riding for a while.

• cowboyona426

Posted May 13, 2009 - 02:36 PM

Pro Moto Billet makes a great kickstand for the 426. A bit spendy, but well worth it.

I may also recommend a '01 clutch set-up (search TT)...frankly I don't know what a 'desert' clutch is, but the '00 had a clutch that was very hard and grabby. The '01 model it was improved quite a bit. You can keep that basket, it's a good choice, the '01 clutch mod is plates, shafts and a ball bearing.

Also look into a PowerNow or better yet, a FreePowerNow (search TT). An accelerator pump cover is also a good mod (Factory R&D or Boyeson).

I've had my '00 for nine years now. A handful of valve adjustments and one total top-end (valves, guides, chain, piston, etc). Runs like a banshee! The SS oil filter and synthetic oil is a really good suggestion too. Keep up on the periodic maintenance and she'll last for years.

The 01 clutch mod is a good one, if it hasn't been done already.

IMO, the PowerNow is a waste of time and money. I had a homemade version, it never did anything to the way the bike ran until the plate bent and made it run horrible. I took it off and trashed it.

• 642MX

Posted May 13, 2009 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Its a great bike, maybe a little too much for me! I'm thinking I might want to lower the bike somehow, and I've read a few articles, but is there a simple inexpensive way to lower it 1 to 2 inches? I will not be doing any serious or hardcore riding for a while.

Here ya go: http://www.mountainm...ering-link.aspx My wife has one and loves it. :doh:

• 642MX

Posted May 13, 2009 - 03:56 PM

best oil for hot desert riding,

The best oil is clean oil. :doh: Some folks like synthetics, but I'm one of the guys who uses petro oil (Shell Rotella) and change it frequently. Do a search on oils, you'll find oodles of info.

• DrThumper

Posted May 14, 2009 - 06:55 AM

The 01 clutch mod is a good one, if it hasn't been done already.

IMO, the PowerNow is a waste of time and money. I had a homemade version, it never did anything to the way the bike ran until the plate bent and made it run horrible. I took it off and trashed it.

Thats too bad.
I made the home made one too, made the vane come really close to the slide, about 2mm. Works great.

I could really tell a difference in low speed throttle control and torque. I made one change at a time.

I did notice that if my carb was running rich, the effect wasn't as good.

• grayracer513

Posted May 14, 2009 - 08:39 AM

The Power Now and similar devices are intended to reduce the turbulence that can form in front of the slide at throttle openings below half, and do accomplish that to some extent. They are, however, mostly beneficial to engines like the YZ250F, which have relatively more radical cam timing and carbs that are relatively much larger for the displacement size of the engine. They do very little to help the bigger bikes that can't be accomplished just by normal tuning.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.