Im stuck need help Gray?

3 replies to this topic
  • mxdude1986

Posted May 12, 2009 - 12:36 PM

I putting my engine back together but for the life of jebrew I cant get the chain on my cams:banghead: :excuseme: , is there a trick to doing it theres just not enough slack in the chain?By the way i have a 98 yz400f

• William1

Posted May 12, 2009 - 12:43 PM

Cam chain tension not yet installed? Once the chain is on the sprockets, install it and then release the tension (you must screw in the plunger and lock it there during this process.)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxdude1986

Posted May 12, 2009 - 12:56 PM

So you are saying it has to be instlalled first? I dont have the tension in it yet

• grayracer513

Posted May 12, 2009 - 01:01 PM

The chain cannot be run over the cams while they are in place. Position the exhaust cam with the chain over it and in time with the crank. Then place the intake cam between the two cam saddles and drop the chain over it. Count 13 pins of chain between the two marks at 12:00 o'clock on the two sprockets to get you close.

Now, roll the intake cam into place in the rear saddle. Rotate all 3 shafts back a little, then turn the crank forward to TDC to check the TDC mark, the "E" on the exhaust cam, and the "I" on the intake to be sure it's in time. Adjust timing as needed. Always recheck the timing again after installing the tensioner.

If there still is not enough slack to make the assembly, you will have to remove the flywheel and stator plate to check for an extra link of chain drooping from the bottom of the crank sprocket, which can happen if you haven't bee quite careful enough in moving things around. Unbolt the bottom of the rear tensioner shoe if necessary to straighten things out.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.