New to TT, old 426 problem

7 replies to this topic
  • GUSBERTSON

Posted May 12, 2009 - 09:53 AM

'01 426, sat in my garage for a good bit. When i went to start it last week it ran, but ran kind of crappy with the choke out. When I put the choke back in it straight out dies. Looking on here it looks like these bikes do that sometimes. After reading some of the other posts that ask the same questions I tried whatever stuff they said. Petcock is clean and so are the carb jets and the gas tank can breathe well and I drained the old fuel and put new 91 octane in. Could this maybe be a valve clearance issue or timing maybe?:excuseme: Any suggestions? Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted May 12, 2009 - 10:48 AM

The most likely cause is a pilot jet with a dried lacquer deposit in/on it. Remove the pilot and check the main orifice and all the cross holes. Give the carb a good general cleaning.

• BIGGUNSBIGPAYCHECKS

Posted May 12, 2009 - 10:50 AM

That and check the float it could be sticking.

• GUSBERTSON

Posted May 13, 2009 - 07:53 AM

I cleaned out the carb, even let the jets soak in carb cleaner for 10 mins. I inspected the jets with a flashlight and all of the orifices are clean. The floater seems to move freely with my finger, I don't know any other way to judge if it is sticking or not. It still runs the same as before.:doh: Is it time for me to get a new carb or find some professional help?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BIGGUNSBIGPAYCHECKS

Posted May 13, 2009 - 08:04 AM

I had to take sand paper and clean my float needle, there was residue that was not allowing the float to completely seat.

• grayracer513

Posted May 13, 2009 - 08:15 AM

I had to take sand paper and clean my float needle, there was residue that was not allowing the float to completely seat.

Brutal.

I guess if it works, it's hard to argue against it.

• GUSBERTSON

Posted May 13, 2009 - 06:50 PM

ok. I'll keep pluggin away.

• BC3

Posted May 13, 2009 - 08:02 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]I use lacquer thinner for cleaning that varnish off....Just fill a small can and let the parts soak...then brush off [/COLOR]

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.