wr450 or yz450

15 replies to this topic
  • crf250r04

Posted May 11, 2009 - 08:23 PM

I was wondering which bike is easier and cheaper to cross over. wr to mx and yz to offroad. I live in wa and ride on the trails mostly but like to ride mx obout 30% of the time.

• JSanfilippo

Posted May 11, 2009 - 09:34 PM

In your situation the YZ is most cost effective.

This comming from a pretty big WR fan.

• homer2000

Posted May 12, 2009 - 01:37 AM

hey friend

i had the same problem when choosing which bike to get, and it was out of the same 2 bikes that you like.
I joined this site and found out alot of new things.
I chose the wr450f, this was the best choice i thought because of the e start, the light and the power of the bike
But it all depends on what type of riding you to, you can mod the wr to be like a yz
im also a wr fan so i say go with the wr

• tribalbc

Posted May 12, 2009 - 11:09 AM

Depends on how much you ride the MX track and how big you go. Power really isn't an issue, just suspension.
Spring a WR to your weight go higher on fork oil levels and you have suspension that works great in the woods and will suffice for light moto.

I ride MX once a week and trail ride/ race hare scrambles another 3-4 days.
For me the WR was the choice for the wide ratio tranny, heavy flywheel- read smooth power- 18" rear wheel, lighting, plateable, the list goes on.
My WR is set up for racing hare scrambles, YZ exhaust and free mods about it for the motor, suspension resprung.
If I was young, going big and going to ride moto all the time I would opt for the YZ but the YZ won't make as good a trail bike and would cost alot to get it in that ballpark.
California with the open terrain would be another story but here in the tight woods of the North.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 12, 2009 - 02:57 PM

I ride and race in WA and the WR has been my weapon of choice for years now...

Unlike TrialBC, you will not get your WR plated in WA (unless you are real sneeky:busted:)

The YZ though is most racers choice between the two... they are a little lighter, they turn better and the suspension is light years ahead of the WR's.

Having said that, the e-button, wide ratio tranny and overall "off road" set up of the Wr makes it a good all around bike for WA state. I ride mine in the gnarliest tight stuff I can find but have just as much fun on the track or in the desert...

You'd be happy with either one but the small things make the difference. For 30% moto I would still get the WR and re-work the suspension and trim it down if you want.

• TimberMountainRider

Posted May 12, 2009 - 03:02 PM

I was wondering which bike is easier and cheaper to cross over. wr to mx and yz to offroad. I live in wa and ride on the trails mostly but like to ride mx obout 30% of the time.

WR...hands down

• snaggletooth

Posted May 12, 2009 - 04:30 PM

Hmmm, If plating or needing a green sticker bike so you could ride year around (hate Kalifornia) weren't an issue I would go with the YZ. I love my WR but I wish it were more like a YZ. I know I can get it close $$$ but why not just spend the (lesser) money putting a head light on the YZ. It won't have a WR tranny but Some sproket changes will help a little with that.

Lots more power in factory form and better suspention -VS- headlight and wide ratio tranny (along with weaker suspention). What else am I missing? Oh, better graphics? S/T

• mikeythefokker

Posted May 12, 2009 - 10:56 PM

The wr is worse for mx than the yz is for woods. I guess it would depend on how much mx you plan on doing. Only riding mx 30% of the time, and the fact that you live in Washington would probably mean that the wr would be the way to go. A yz with a rekluse, or a flywheel weight, and a little suspension work would do a decent job though. Mx bikes don't like going slow, or crawling. They stall easily and flame out, and they tend to be a handful on tight trails. Their power delivery doesn't work very well, and the stiff suspension will beat the crap out of your hands and arms. That sort of stuff makes for a long day. 250 2strokes seem to do the best mx/trail bike half and half dance. The 450s are a bit more job specific these days.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted May 13, 2009 - 06:24 AM

+1

But if "forced" to pick one based on the original poster's needs and others' comments, I'd say go for the WR.

250 2strokes seem to do the best mx/trail bike half and half dance. The 450s are a bit more job specific these days.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 13, 2009 - 07:09 AM

All good points... But if you do any racing (mx or offroad), then get the yz. You will need the lighter bike.

Otherwise, get a wr.

I have a yz (2 stroke) for racing and a 450 for everything else.

• TimberMountainRider

Posted May 13, 2009 - 10:35 AM

The wr is worse for mx than the yz is for woods. I guess it would depend on how much mx you plan on doing. Only riding mx 30% of the time, and the fact that you live in Washington would probably mean that the wr would be the way to go. A yz with a rekluse, or a flywheel weight, and a little suspension work would do a decent job though. Mx bikes don't like going slow, or crawling. They stall easily and flame out, and they tend to be a handful on tight trails. Their power delivery doesn't work very well, and the stiff suspension will beat the crap out of your hands and arms. That sort of stuff makes for a long day. 250 2strokes seem to do the best mx/trail bike half and half dance. The 450s are a bit more job specific these days.

I think MX bikes are great in woods...they have the GRIN factor that single track variety brings...just make sure the susension is set up...

• kawi380

Posted May 14, 2009 - 06:11 AM

Having ridden and raced both, i say go with the WR. Estart makes the biggest difference.

• crf250r04

Posted May 14, 2009 - 02:52 PM

Also I should add that I plan on moving back to California in a 1 1/2, don't care about the green sticker to much because were im from it is to hot to ride in the summer, 95-110 all summer. I added this because I was wondering what most of the trails are like in northern ca, open double track or alot of nasty single track like up here.

• TimberMountainRider

Posted May 14, 2009 - 03:03 PM

Also I should add that I plan on moving back to California in a 1 1/2, don't care about the green sticker to much because were im from it is to hot to ride in the summer, 95-110 all summer. I added this because I was wondering what most of the trails are like in northern ca, open double track or alot of nasty single track like up here.

I guess it depends on where you move in CA in coordinating your riding style.

• erickdj

Posted May 15, 2009 - 09:50 AM

California is quite big, lots of variety when it comes to riding. I know you don't plan on riding during the summer, but during the closed red sticker season there can be plenty of nice weather days when riding would be really nice. At that point you would either miss out on a ride opportunity or risk getting a ticket. The fact of being excluded from many riding areas between May-September would sway me towards the WR, that's a big chunk off the year right there. I'm lucky to own both the WR and YZ, so in a way I have the best of both worlds. However, if the green/red sticker didn't exist, I would only have the YZ, as it's a better do-it-all bike. Don't get me wrong, the WR is a GREAT bike, but once you ride a yz you realize how much better the wr could be with some mods. Neither one of my bikes is entirely stock, but it took much less time/money to get the yz to be the way I like it. My WR is extensively modded and can hang with my yz all day long, but it took lots of $$ and time to get it that way, on top of the fact that it was more expensive to buy in the first place. The YZ only needed the following mods to be a good do-it-all bike: ASV levers, Dr.D full exhaust, and 51-tooth rear sprocket. While the WR has had the following done: all the free mods, full 06 yz exhaust, handguards, 06 yz cams, & 07 yz full suspension. That's quite a bit of mods right there, the bike rides like a dream, but it wasn't easy/cheap to get there.

• green flash

Posted May 17, 2009 - 01:08 AM

I have the YZ450, and use it 90% trails, really tight woods riding, and I love it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.