100LL AV fuel

5 replies to this topic
  • FinchFan194

Posted May 11, 2009 - 02:27 PM

I am not looking for any performance increases, but I was told that running 100LL will your motor last longer and keep it from grenading.

My 04 has been rebuilt but she isn't getting any newer just want the bike to make it through this season without blowing up. I am not worried about it when I ride trails. Is the 100LL a good option to help my bike when riding on tracks or lets say if I make a dune trip?????

It seems the quality of our 92 pump gas isn't what it used to be because it all has 10% methynol or etheynol or whatever that stuff is.

Can anyone help me out??

• grayracer513

Posted May 11, 2009 - 03:11 PM

Aviation fuel is a source of popular folklore and myth. The fact is that it will do neither of the things you mention, it will probably increase the combustion chamber deposits in your engine, and is formulated entirely wrong for a high rpm engine with a short intake such as yours.

AvGas is blended for engine that operate at continuous low rpm's at high altitude, not for engines that require immediate response to constantly changing throttle and load conditions.

Furthermore, the lead deposits that will form on the valve faces of the exhaust valves may have a tendency to degrade the TiN coating, and actually shorten valve life.

Don't use it. Pump gas is cheaper, more available, and while not the optimum fuel, it is a much better blend for your engine than any AvGas, even with 10% ethyl/methyl alcohol.

• davidl9999

Posted May 11, 2009 - 03:13 PM

Aviation fuel is a source of popular folklore and myth. The fact is that it will do neither of the things you mention, it will probably increase the combustion chamber deposits in your engine, and is formulated entirely wrong for a high rpm engine with a short intake such as yours.

AvGas is blended for engine that operate at continuous low rpm's at high altitude, not for engines that require immediate response to constantly changing throttle and load conditions.

Furthermore, the lead deposits that will form on the valve faces of the exhaust valves may have a tendency to degrade the TiN coating, and actually shorten valve life.

Don't use it. Pump gas is cheaper, more available, and while not the optimum fuel, it is a much better blend for your engine than any AvGas, even with 10% ethyl/methyl alcohol.

+1 :excuseme:
Pump-grade gasoline has up to 10% Ethanol in it. It does rob some power over 100% gas, but if everyone else racing is using it, you'll do fine. The Ethanol component will actually lower cylinder pressure vs. 100% gas, so that's actually good for longevity.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FinchFan194

Posted May 11, 2009 - 03:15 PM

Awesome thanks guys for saving me from making a mistake.

• Watige420

Posted May 15, 2009 - 11:46 PM

+1 ^^^

• yz007f

Posted May 16, 2009 - 07:27 AM

Ethanol also runs leaner... And don't be surprised if there is more than 10% ethanol in your fuel. I have seen up to 30%!!!!!!! which is retarded if you ask me. I will only run race gas in my bike now...

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.