Air Filters: To oil or not to oil...that is the question!

23 replies to this topic
  • globetrotter

Posted May 11, 2009 - 08:52 AM

Ok. Here's the deal.

A local MX pro and mechanic recently told me that he doesn't oil his air filter unless he is riding a dusty track. He said he just uses one or two filters per day at his regular hardpack track and washes them with dish soap at home. Easy.

I think he's crazy but...but he is a motorcycle mechanic and is currently ranked #2 in the region. Who am I to judge...but what do you think?

Can you run a bike in ideal conditions without oiling the air filter? And why would you?

• CamP

Posted May 11, 2009 - 08:59 AM

Riding motocross with a dry filter isn't the smartest thing to do.

• fmv60691

Posted May 11, 2009 - 09:12 AM

air is never 100% clean, even if you dont se it, dust is always there. I bought a second hand bike once and had a dry air filter on. The air boot was full of dust inside......Even if you use specific air filter oil, if it dries a bit, like in a few weeks, dust will go through

• globetrotter

Posted May 11, 2009 - 09:18 AM

Hmm...perhaps my mechanic is hoping I'll follow his advice and run an oil-free filter. Crappy way to drum up business, no?

• The Captain

Posted May 11, 2009 - 09:21 AM

big no no!

• crf450319

Posted May 11, 2009 - 09:26 AM

Yes you can do it, but you'd better have deep pockets to rebuild your engine on a regular basis.

Why would someone do that, well I guess he's thinking the oil in the filter is restrictive and is hoping for better throttle response.

You should tell him that the oil in the crankcase/trans. is restrictive as well, and he'd get better performance if he ran without engine oil.

Hmmm.....
Posted Image

• shredking1

Posted May 11, 2009 - 11:24 AM

Agreed, not putting oil on your air filter is asking for trouble. Some people give strange advice though, it's always good to check.

• llamaface

Posted May 11, 2009 - 11:28 AM

My advice would be to borrow someone else's bike and try it. Run for a couple hours, then take off the filter and examine the carb and intake tract.

I forgot to oil my filter once (yah, totall noob) on a dualsport ride in the sierras. The inside of my airboot was quite dirty and so was the carburetor. No bueno.

• RMXC51

Posted May 11, 2009 - 03:19 PM

I can't imagine not oiling my filter. Especially on a 4 stroke, which pulls a lot more air through.

• honda88

Posted May 11, 2009 - 03:26 PM

It totally amazies me what people say. Just use common sence. If it sounds stupid it is stupid. At least your smarter than the mechanic and at questioned what he said. ALWAYS USE OIL.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • EvoJoeIX

Posted May 11, 2009 - 03:31 PM

why not just oil your normal filter, then get filter skins, oil them and throw one on. once its dirty, replace the skin with another. once you go through all 3, wash the skins and the filter....

thats what i do. the normal filter will look freshly oiled no matter how dirty the skin gets usually

• hillclimbin

Posted May 11, 2009 - 03:54 PM

I have heard that some people only oil the outside of the filter and not both sides, I always do both!

• yellownova

Posted May 11, 2009 - 04:09 PM

very simple no matter what filter (foam) kn filter cleaner and oil kits

• EvoJoeIX

Posted May 11, 2009 - 04:27 PM

I have heard that some people only oil the outside of the filter and not both sides, I always do both!

a properly oiled filter will be oiled on both sides, now you dont have to physically oil the inside, but if you have a good even oil distribution, the inside will be oiled

• brian jacquemin

Posted May 11, 2009 - 04:37 PM

:excuseme: just plain stupid

• globetrotter

Posted May 11, 2009 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for the positive reinforcement. I know from my 2-stroke days that a good clean air filter was the way to go and naturally assumed the same for 4-strokes (this is my first thumper). But I had some doubts after a pro said not to bother with the oil. He said that oiling was an old-school way of thinking and not required on today's modern 4-strokes.

Staying old school and oiling the filter!

• NorCalRider

Posted May 11, 2009 - 08:33 PM

Not oiling the air filter is ridiculous.

• The Captain

Posted May 11, 2009 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for the positive reinforcement. I know from my 2-stroke days that a good clean air filter was the way to go and naturally assumed the same for 4-strokes (this is my first thumper). But I had some doubts after a pro said not to bother with the oil. He said that oiling was an old-school way of thinking and not required on today's modern 4-strokes.

Even fast guys can be down right moronic!!!!

• racerx_217

Posted May 12, 2009 - 04:03 PM

Ok. Here's the deal.

A local MX pro and mechanic recently told me that he doesn't oil his air filter unless he is riding a dusty track. He said he just uses one or two filters per day at his regular hardpack track and washes them with dish soap at home. Easy.

I think he's crazy but...but he is a motorcycle mechanic and is currently ranked #2 in the region. Who am I to judge...but what do you think?

Can you run a bike in ideal conditions without oiling the air filter? And why would you?

where do they rank mechanics? i have never heard of this

• MaddogYZ

Posted May 13, 2009 - 05:18 AM

Maybe he was just pulling your chain and being sarcastic. Either that or the education system in Brazil is severly lacking.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Who put a pond there? by ZDeWitt

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  44 replies
Forums
Photo

Free play rear linkage by Rooster72

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • 18 replies
Forums
Photo

05 crf450r top end by jlkroner

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

My New Project '08 Build by mrmoto35

• Hot  41 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 CRF450 Shootout by dc182

• Hot  39 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.