Healing time - Broken Ribs

20 replies to this topic
  • 98cr250r

Posted May 11, 2009 - 06:22 AM

Searching I've just come up with that the pain of broken ribs lasts from 1 to 3 months... But how long 'till they are actually healed?

I had a 'get off' about 2 weeks ago, broke 3 ribs... Everything is coming along great.. the pain is getting to be more and more of a minor inconvenience. I'm planning on giving it some time, so I can get through my normal range of motion without much discomfort... before I start riding again.

But my big question is, how long until the bones are actually healed? Good as new? Not just pain free... I'm 41... heh I was going to say a non smoker, but I'm a welder, so I probably smoke more than a smoker :excuseme:

• Decreasing Dave

Posted May 11, 2009 - 05:05 PM

I'm gonna wait for this answer as well.

Dave

• willbilly

Posted May 11, 2009 - 06:56 PM

I broke 3 ribs in the back when I was 36. I am 46 now. One of the ribs punctured my lung. They were broken very badly. They rattled around for almost a month then, just as the doc said, they "set." They still hurt occasionally. Glucosamine/Chondroitin seems to help. Hope you heal well. Good luck.
p.s. this is a stupid sport. I don't know why I can't give it up.

• joker_101

Posted May 11, 2009 - 10:07 PM

I fractured my ribs. It was around 2 1/2 months untill the pain went away.

• joker_101

Posted May 11, 2009 - 10:08 PM

Hey Dave, what injuries have you had on the track with your sport bike?

• davidl9999

Posted May 11, 2009 - 10:16 PM

Took a couple of months before two of mine "settled in" to the point that they weren't moving around when I breathed. Almost two years later, I still have a third rib head that I can feel when I cough and when I sit at "just the wrong angle". It all depends...

• Decreasing Dave

Posted May 11, 2009 - 10:50 PM

On the track I had ribs (twice) and herniated disk once when the bike landed on my back.

That crash was one of the rib incidents and the other rib incident I actually fractured them with my own arm. I was sliding with my left arm under my ribs when I hit the raised dirt at the end of the pavement. My arm crushed my ribs on impact.

Conversely, I JUST had a crash on my streetbike (CBR1000RR). It was a lowside and the bike hit the guardrails, came back and hit me. I fractured 7 ribs, my "transverse process" on the L1 and L2 vertebre and bruised a kidney.

If I had been on the track, me and the bike would have just slid off the track and got dirty. Instead, I spent 4 days in the hospital.

I think my corner carving days on the street are going to be limited to Sumos and I'll leave the highspeed, high power stuff to the track. It's more fun anyway.

Dave

• proeasy

Posted May 12, 2009 - 06:25 AM

I had a fall on my mountain bike about a week ago, hurt my back ribs on my left side. Had a litte pain/discomfort nothing serious I thought. This mornining I had a bad sneeze and think I heard a rib crack from an fn sneeze. The pain was incredible and much worse since then. I can push on the rib and hear a little click.

Here is my question, I am to go on a long (1000+ miles) ride in early June. What can I do to recover best by then? Would this keep me from riding?

Paul

• davidl9999

Posted May 12, 2009 - 09:54 AM

I had a fall on my mountain bike about a week ago, hurt my back ribs on my left side. Had a litte pain/discomfort nothing serious I thought. This mornining I had a bad sneeze and think I heard a rib crack from an fn sneeze. The pain was incredible and much worse since then. I can push on the rib and hear a little click.

Here is my question, I am to go on a long (1000+ miles) ride in early June. What can I do to recover best by then? Would this keep me from riding?

Paul

See a doc, tape the rib(s). Deal with the pain 'cuz you ain't gonna be healed by then...

• bobbert

Posted May 12, 2009 - 11:53 AM

Has anyone just tried patching themselves up without seeing a doc? heard it's ok unless there's something else wrong, just take it easy for 4-6 weeks?

• Jeekinz

Posted May 12, 2009 - 12:03 PM

Paul

Pretty much the same thing happened to me. I injured my back ribs on my left side on a track in 08. I thought everything was fine, then took a spill a while after and had the same symptoms as you. Sucked to sneeze or take a deep breath. For more than a week or so I couldn't even sleep from the pain.

Has anyone just tried patching themselves up without seeing a doc? heard it's ok unless there's something else wrong, just take it easy for 4-6 weeks?

That's all I did, take it easy. I did ride :excuseme: but I just cruised around. Your adrenaline kicks in and it doesn't hurt too bad, but the next day sucks!

• 98cr250r

Posted May 28, 2009 - 08:47 AM

I'm going to guess that nobody had a really good answer on how long it takes the bones to heal because of the vast differences between people.

The first week after I broke my three ribs was most definetly the worst. Since then, almost daily I'm feeling better. Now, 30 days later... it doesn't hurt to cough anymore... I don't dread sneezing... and I'm not too worried about giving the wife a hug :crazy: I am still limiting my lifting, constantly testing myself, going heavier and heavier, finding my limits. Finding my limits how fast I can lift so I don't 'tweak' anything. I'm planning on being back on the bike this weekend (who knows, maybe I'll find that I DID mess something up on the bike, and I'll get more recovery time while I'm fixing it)

Most of the responses in this thread have been about pain and discomfort. Everything that I am going by is the pain (or discomfort)... But you don't get pain from bones themselves do you? Its just from the tissue around them? So even when I'm feeling 100%, my bones might still be mending?

I know I take longer to mend than a 18 year old... but darn it! How much longer? :eek:

• davidl9999

Posted May 28, 2009 - 09:46 AM

I'm going to guess that nobody had a really good answer on how long it takes the bones to heal because of the vast differences between people.

The first week after I broke my three ribs was most definetly the worst. Since then, almost daily I'm feeling better. Now, 30 days later... it doesn't hurt to cough anymore... I don't dread sneezing... and I'm not too worried about giving the wife a hug :crazy: I am still limiting my lifting, constantly testing myself, going heavier and heavier, finding my limits. Finding my limits how fast I can lift so I don't 'tweak' anything. I'm planning on being back on the bike this weekend (who knows, maybe I'll find that I DID mess something up on the bike, and I'll get more recovery time while I'm fixing it)

Most of the responses in this thread have been about pain and discomfort. Everything that I am going by is the pain (or discomfort)... But you don't get pain from bones themselves do you? Its just from the tissue around them? So even when I'm feeling 100%, my bones might still be mending?

I know I take longer to mend than a 18 year old... but darn it! How much longer? :eek:

Actually, there is a number - as long as you don't reinjure yourself: Give yourself at least 6 weeks to fully form the callus. After that point, the bone is mostly remodeling. Once the callus is formed you're more likely to break a bone somewhere else than at the original fracture site. Here's a link: http://books.google....um=10#PPA121,M1

• vector911

Posted June 01, 2009 - 09:34 AM

last year I broke one and tried to ride 3 weeks later. Pain was too much had to spectate after a half lap and give it another 2 weeks. 6 weeks sounds just about right.

• djebel

Posted June 02, 2009 - 05:33 AM

I fractured my wrist 3 weeks ago. Got a T plate and6 screws inside. i can ride the bike on the road now but the whole right arm cramps after a few mins. better give it more rest. let the bone heal fully. The book preview is great!
Thanks davidl9999:worthy:

• redrdr67

Posted June 03, 2009 - 06:08 PM

I'm on my 5th week now and feel much less discomfort. Third time breaking ribs, twice on my left side, and once on right with punctured lung. I don't wish this pain on anyone(well maybe a few). Just got a Ribtect in the mail and will use it from now on. Hoping it will prevent future rib fractures. DNS'ing races suck.

• Kman415

Posted June 07, 2009 - 03:18 AM

I broke 3 ribs this winter snowmobiling, it took 3 months to heal to the point it was good again. Be sure to let the sneezes out and not hold 'em in is my sound advice ( learned the hard way).

• HPF89X

Posted June 07, 2009 - 05:33 PM

It takes a while. I was at about two months and decided to go ride. I picked my bike up and put it on the stand the night before and something popped and was really sore. Went riding the next day and I couldnt even finish a lap they hurt so bad. I'm going to say 2-3 months depending on how bad they are. Out of everything that I have broken the ribs take the longest to heal.

• H Bomb

Posted June 09, 2009 - 04:19 PM

i have broken alot alot of ribs. unfortantly it is kinda my thing i guess. i kickboxed for 6 years and ride MX so def broke alot

i have found the breaks in the front are way worse then the ones in the back. back ones i have found healed in 3 months. ones in the front have taken up to 6 months for me. of course i don't know how to rest so i have re injured them plenty of times. best thing is to stay off the bike till they are really healed. i have found the chiropracter really really helps me. when they are first broke i go and he just releases some nerve endings for me then as they heal more he gives me a couple light cracks then after 3 months he gives me a quick x ray to see if they are really healed. bc alot of times they may feel better but are not healed and the slightest hit can re break them

i have found that chest protectors really do suck for rib protection. shifter kart vest are much better. the best i have found is a lightweight kevlar bullet proof vest. def not cheap but ultimate in rib protection. i have a big build so i had one custom made for me

feel better

H

Searching I've just come up with that the pain of broken ribs lasts from 1 to 3 months... But how long 'till they are actually healed?

I had a 'get off' about 2 weeks ago, broke 3 ribs... Everything is coming along great.. the pain is getting to be more and more of a minor inconvenience. I'm planning on giving it some time, so I can get through my normal range of motion without much discomfort... before I start riding again.

But my big question is, how long until the bones are actually healed? Good as new? Not just pain free... I'm 41... heh I was going to say a non smoker, but I'm a welder, so I probably smoke more than a smoker :thumbsup:

• H Bomb

Posted June 09, 2009 - 04:22 PM

also be sure to up your calcium intake and a good supp to take is Glucocosamine with MSM. take it for a full 2 weeks though bf it starts to work

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.