how hot does a radiator get???

6 replies to this topic
  • crazymxrider_93

Posted May 11, 2009 - 03:27 AM

sorry its probably a stupid question, but i need to know how hot my radiator gets because i need to put a little JB weld on it because its somewhat corroded on the bottom. it doesnt leak, but i just want to be safe. :excuseme:

• no1clyde

Posted May 11, 2009 - 04:19 AM

Well water boils at 212 and with a pressure cap that may be 230 or so so that would be about the hottest it should get. I have used JB type stuff to "fix" radiators before with good luck.

Ed

• alex211

Posted May 11, 2009 - 05:08 AM

I used JB weld to fix my rad before. Make sure the metel is CLEAN, JB weld will not stick to dirty metal.

• cxcmoto

Posted May 11, 2009 - 06:28 AM

Most radiator caps are rated at 1.1 bar or 15psi.

That would mean it could reach 250F before boiling over.

A heavy duty cap would be 1.6 bar or 20 psi. == 264F

JB weld is fine up to 500, so no worries there.

+1 for the cleaning -- I suggest brake cleaner because its easy to get and does not leave a residue. - JB weld says acetone, lacquer thinner, and not alcohol.
http://www.jbweld.net/faq.php#faq006

REF:
http://www.engineeri...ater-d_926.html

remember to add atmospheric pressure when using the charts.

• AtomicXRer

Posted May 11, 2009 - 06:41 AM

The boiling point of 50/50 mix of ethylene glycol and water is 265F....so I would think your radiator wouldn't get hotter than this...IMO

I have used JB weld on the cylinder head by the KIPS valveand have had no problems.

• Polar_Bus

Posted May 11, 2009 - 08:05 AM

sorry its probably a stupid question, but i need to know how hot my radiator gets because i need to put a little JB weld on it because its somewhat corroded on the bottom. it doesnt leak, but i just want to be safe. :excuseme:

Under normal operating conditions a motocross cooling system runs about 130-150F. MX bikes don't use a thermostat so coolant temps can be all over the place, depending on many variables such as ambient temps, jetting, piston top end condition... and so on..

• crazymxrider_93

Posted May 12, 2009 - 06:54 AM

ok thanks guys :excuseme:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2006 kx100 wont hit powerband by kxkid110

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

1998Kx250 or 2002 Kx250. Which is the better bike? by Mudlauncher

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

Sweet KX by nicko-31

• Hot  39 replies
Forums
Photo

Bad Ass Kx125 Build by Bh297

• Hot  68 replies
Forums
Photo

Will KX450F wheels fit my 04 kx250 by KawiRider98

• 16 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.