Save fork seals

3 replies to this topic
  • WR450F_4600FT

Posted March 08, 2003 - 10:18 PM

Ok, I need help settling a argument with a mechanic friend of mine. Today he blew a fork seal and I made the comment that if he used a fork support when tying down a bike for transport, his fork seals would last longer. His all knowing self was quick to try giving me instructions on how the design of the seal is made to withstand the force of compression and a fork support will not extend a fork seals life, period! We agreed to post this to let TT'rs decide.

So, what do you all think?

Thanks,

Mark

• blue_beast_wins

Posted March 08, 2003 - 11:43 PM

Hate to say it, but i agree with him, sorry, i use a chock to help stabilize th bike on the trailor, not to save my seals, the reason seals leak is due to dirt and mud interfering with the seal lip, if you have seal savers this will not happen providing you clean the seal savers every ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KiwiThumper

Posted March 09, 2003 - 10:50 AM

Provided you bleed the air from your forks though (you should do it after every ride, but I bet a lot of people dont :) ).
Air will build up and if so when compressed will put more force on the back of the seals causing them to leak if the forks are compressed for any length of time.

• MOmilkman

Posted March 09, 2003 - 06:20 PM

I use a fork support when transporting my bike. But not for the reason of saving seals. I was told this was more of a benefit for the fork springs.

Im not sure why. It just seems like the right thing to do. :)

(I hope you didnt have any money riding on this one!) :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.