header bolts

3 replies to this topic
  • jeepcj776

Posted May 10, 2009 - 04:51 PM

Riding yesterday and lost the header bolts again,
This is the 3rd time this has happened have used loctite on them and have lock washers,

What is the best way to stop this I have thought about studs and poly locks
but I think that the poly will burn out,

what is everyone else doing for this?

• jeepcj776

Posted May 11, 2009 - 03:29 PM

am I the only one that has had a problem with this?

any suggestions

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426 NOOB

Posted May 11, 2009 - 03:57 PM

am I the only one that has had a problem with this?

any suggestions

I have never had a problem. I just use blue lock tight and torque them to book specs.

• usmcpaul

Posted May 12, 2009 - 03:34 AM

I have not had this problem on my bike, and there might be a better way to solve the problem, however here is a sample picture of how to safety wire bolts just like they do in the aircraft industry. You will have to drill the nuts to accept the wire and getting a set of safety wire pliers will make it a lot easier.

Here

It might get tiresome having to redo it each time you change the oil, but if done properly it will not come off. As an A@P mechanic I have safety wired thousands of things, and with a little practice you will be able to wire it in 30 seconds flat.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.