2008 YZ450 Whining noise mag side

36 replies to this topic
  • WB450

Posted May 12, 2009 - 11:46 AM

You might check two things:

• That the crankshaft primary drive gear bolt is tight.
  • That there is not an excessive amount of rotational play in the cushion unit of the driven gear assembly (basket).

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

• MikeyT750

Posted May 12, 2009 - 12:46 PM

Not to sound like a dummy, but which bolt it the Primary Drive Gear Bolt? I have heard people call it the nut that holds the basket on in other forums but know that's not it and I can't find it in the owners manual I have for the bike. Maybe it's in te service one. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

• grayracer513

Posted May 12, 2009 - 12:52 PM

It's a nut, actually, and the word "crankshaft" should be kind of a giveaway.

It holds the primary drive gear, not the driven gear, or basket, to the crank. On the right end of the crank, in front of the clutch.

• MikeyT750

Posted May 12, 2009 - 12:59 PM

LOL, Thanks Grey for the fast response. Semper

• grayracer513

Posted May 12, 2009 - 01:04 PM

Semper

Another one, huh? :excuseme:

• MikeyT750

Posted May 12, 2009 - 01:11 PM

Yep. 11 Years. Back to the nut, Looking at the manual I have to take the whole clutch basket assy off to see it right? Forgive me but all I have is the owners manual and not the Tech Publication Thanks

• MikeyT750

Posted May 12, 2009 - 01:15 PM

Never mind, Got it.. PG 4-55.

• grayracer513

Posted May 12, 2009 - 02:49 PM

Yeah, the right side cover has to come off, but the clutch assembly stays in place.

Tip: remove the water pump impeller cover to allow you to index the impeller shaft as you reassemble it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dvn

Posted February 05, 2010 - 04:08 AM

Hey guys,
I have searched the forums and didn't find anything. The bike has 29 hours on it. Oil and filter changed religiously along with the airfilter (Every Ride). I went to practice on Friday and when I started her up there was a faint whining noise comming from the Magnito side of the engine. It wasen't there last Sunday so I was like HUH? I checked the oil and coolant level which were fine and it sounded like it went away so I went and practiced. The Bike ran strong with no wierd pops or clanks. Shifted fine too. The noise however got louder and I could definitly hear it over the exhaust note. Sounded like a faint chirpy whine. I found that if I pull the clutch lever in th sorta goes away. I went to the track again yesterday and there was no sign of whining noise at all when I first started it up but as the bike got hot it started again. It still ran strong and ran the whole moring. I changed out the oil and filter today and took it for a spin. Same thing. As soon as it starts getting hot you can hear it. I am uploading a video to atach on this but it is taking forever. I'll post it as soon as it uploads.

Just wondering what you found with this problem. My 09 started doing the same thing yesterday.

• Riding3

Posted February 05, 2010 - 06:51 AM

Guys, i went through this before on my 07. I took the right side cover off, checked the primary as described, the cushions, the gear mesh, and looked for any signs of damage or premature wear.
I found that the clutch basket was starting to wear due to the clutch plates wearing on the clutch basket fingers. My clutch was good so I simply took a small file and gently broke all of the corners of my fibre plates. I replaced the pressure plate springs and put it all back together.
I feel that that corrected that apparent problem. That noise greatly quited down and honestly I think that the clutch operates much smoother.
So, having said that, this fix is also a mod that will greatly improve the life of your clutch basket and permit a smoother operating clutch.
Also, quite down that noise from hell.

• dvn

Posted February 05, 2010 - 08:45 AM

Guys, i went through this before on my 07. I took the right side cover off, checked the primary as described, the cushions, the gear mesh, and looked for any signs of damage or premature wear.
I found that the clutch basket was starting to wear due to the clutch plates wearing on the clutch basket fingers. My clutch was good so I simply took a small file and gently broke all of the corners of my fibre plates. I replaced the pressure plate springs and put it all back together.
I feel that that corrected that apparent problem. That noise greatly quited down and honestly I think that the clutch operates much smoother.
So, having said that, this fix is also a mod that will greatly improve the life of your clutch basket and permit a smoother operating clutch.
Also, quite down that noise from hell.

My bike with 3 hours on it does not have wear on the basket. Clutch operates smoothly.

• grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2010 - 09:11 AM

Without wanting specifically to throw water on anyone, none of the things mentioned by rider3 will have any effect on the noise produced by the primary gears and transmission at idle or elsewhere.

• Riding3

Posted February 05, 2010 - 09:54 AM

What I discovered is that the ragged edges of the clutch fibre plates were dragging along the clutch basket fingers. This in turn resulted in my clutch plates not clamping properly. This created a clutch growl noise that was very similar to the sound in the mans video.
And also, even if the bike has only 3 hours on it the ragged edge of the clutch plates will still be dragging.
Break the edges on the plates, put it back together and try it out. Then let me know if the sound has suddenly disappeared.

• grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2010 - 10:45 AM

Sorry, but you're wrong on this. If the clutch did not "clamp properly", it would slip.

The growling noise at idle that goes away when the clutch is pulled is the transmission being rattled by the uneven speed the engine is running at:
http://www.thumperta...282#post5362282

The clutch itself cannot make any noise at idle when it is engaged (lever released) because all of the components within it are clamped together in a single mass. The only potential places a rattle can develop are the cushion assembly and the primary drive gear set (primary gear clearance was tightened up in the '08+ models to address complaints of noise, BTW). A clutch can make noise when the lever is pulled and it is released, because then the plates are free, other than oil drag, to rattle around in the basket. If you ever listen to a big British bike, or an older Harley idle in gear, you'll hear this as a jingling noise.

The whining noise is typical of big, straight cut gears, and although other noises often drown it out, it's still there, and it can normally be heard under certain conditions.

• Riding3

Posted February 05, 2010 - 11:11 AM

I found something that may be of interest.

http://www.thumperta...hp/t-84115.html

• teamtoxic

Posted February 07, 2010 - 10:09 AM

if you end up removing the left side cover, check the screws that hold the coil to the inside of the cover. My 15-hour old 2008 had a screw back out. I had to split the cases to remove the bits and pieces from the bottom end. Luckily NO DAMAGE

• TheHarp

Posted February 07, 2010 - 01:46 PM

if you end up removing the left side cover, check the screws that hold the coil to the inside of the cover. My 15-hour old 2008 had a screw back out. I had to split the cases to remove the bits and pieces from the bottom end. Luckily NO DAMAGE

This happened on my 08 too...luckily didn't need to split the cases. It's definitely worth checking, IMO.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.