changing the oil

24 replies to this topic
  • roylo

Posted July 10, 2009 - 06:21 AM

hey friends

just wondering how come you should change the oil every time you get back from a ride or a couple of rides

Because oil breaks down with use and loses its ability to lubricate the engine properly. So if you do not change the oil regularly with new oil the engine will wear faster.
Dirt bikes are high performace machines and are hard on oil. They dont hold a great deal of oil volume so they will reduce the oil's lubricating ability faster than your average car or whatever.

• bobdea

Posted July 10, 2009 - 07:43 PM

generally, I do 3 to 6 hundred miles between changes on just about everything that sees dirt.

my 426 is especially hard on oil, yeah, syns and syn blends tend to work better imo.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted July 11, 2009 - 06:59 PM

I change the oil every two tanks of gas. Change the oil filter every four tanks of gas.

Anything more than that, in my opinion, is taking a gamble.
Engine oil needs to be clean, gearbox oil needs to remain a long-chain molecule to continue to protect against shear forces. The engine heat breaks down the long-chain molecules, and the Clutch by-products dirty up the oil messing up the engine side.

Your crank, cam bearing surfaces, and wrist pin will last MUCH longer if you change your oil regularly.

• chris_TTR250

Posted July 12, 2009 - 02:34 AM

I change the oil every two tanks of gas. Change the oil filter every four tanks of gas.

Anything more than that, in my opinion, is taking a gamble.
Engine oil needs to be clean, gearbox oil needs to remain a long-chain molecule to continue to protect against shear forces. The engine heat breaks down the long-chain molecules, and the Clutch by-products dirty up the oil messing up the engine side.

Your crank, cam bearing surfaces, and wrist pin will last MUCH longer if you change your oil regularly.

Thats bordering on fanatic. If your flat out high rev racing then maybe but geeze!

Maybe you have a 50lt tank?

• TommyTheKid

Posted July 13, 2009 - 08:25 AM

Honestly, the worst thing I do with my bike is probably idling along behind cattle (cowboying on the motorbike), not racing. The only tough part of racing is probably the start (especially when I miss second gear). Idling with engine load causes the engine to get VERY hot. When I had to have my engine rebuilt recently, they said there was obvious heat damage.

Now if it held more than 1L of oil and had an oil cooler and maybe a radiator fan (like a street bike) I would take it further. I have already been burned by this situation, I am going to change my oil every 200 or so miles of trails (weekend) or every race.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.