smog testing dirtbikes

8 replies to this topic
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 09, 2009 - 03:27 PM

Question: I have been hearing about California considering smog testing dirt bikes. What, if anything, can be done to make a dirt bike pass a smog emissions test? Yamaha wr450 comes with a smog pump, but I doubt that will get it to pass, will it?

Is the solution as simple as bolting a cat converter on from a real street bike?

does anyone know enough about smog and emissions to discuss this?

• PBDBLUE

Posted May 09, 2009 - 04:10 PM

The current proposal will only require street licensed bikes to be tested. Of course this will affect converted dirt bikes but as far as sticker bikes there will be no testing. As far as requirements go you cannot just add equipment to pass the tailpipe test. The bike has to have been certified when built by the manufacturer.

• JSanfilippo

Posted May 09, 2009 - 10:49 PM

. As far as requirements go you cannot just add equipment to pass the tailpipe test. The bike has to have been certified when built by the manufacturer.

Exactly.

This has been a sticking point for me. Infact I'm holding out on getting a tag until CARB releases the last year they're going to exempt from streetbike smog testing.

I've heard they want to implement something around 2010 with all bikes 2007 and older exempt from testing. Of course this is just heresay.

• PBDBLUE

Posted May 10, 2009 - 06:10 AM

The current proposed date is 2000 and newer. The AMA is lobbying to make it 2005 and newer so that all the bikes legally converted to dual sport before the 2004 deadline will not be included. The proposal has testing slated to begin Jan 1, 2012. At this point there is no test procedure specified. It will be developed after the legislation passes. The speculation is that it will be a visual equipment check and possibly a sniff test but no dyno test like cars get. They are not after dirt bikes here. It's the Harley crowd that's their target.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KennyMc

Posted May 10, 2009 - 12:02 PM

The current proposed date is 2000 and newer. The AMA is lobbying to make it 2005 and newer so that all the bikes legally converted to dual sport before the 2004 deadline will not be included. The proposal has testing slated to begin Jan 1, 2012. At this point there is no test procedure specified. It will be developed after the legislation passes. The speculation is that it will be a visual equipment check and possibly a sniff test but no dyno test like cars get. They are not after dirt bikes here. It's the Harley crowd that's their target.

That's my understanding as well. From what I hear, it sounds (pun intended)like they will be going after sound output as opposed to directly testing emissions. This is with the understanding that Harleys and other street bikes with modified exhausts have removed any type of emissions equipment related to the pipes.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 10, 2009 - 08:00 PM

I heard all of this. But... is it possible to get a dirt bike to actually pass a smog test? I cannot imagine a dyno for bikes. I know that they do a smog test on my RV without the dyno.

Maybe I should sell the dual sport bike now before the law passes and kills all of my value.

• sabella

Posted May 12, 2009 - 09:00 AM

do it in PHX all the time

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 12, 2009 - 09:13 AM

For every one street bike there is probably 100 Lawn Mowers in operation every weekend...

When is the last time someone smog tested or looked at the emmissions standards for lawn mowers...

Frickin' moron law makers :excuseme:

• tntmo

Posted May 12, 2009 - 07:00 PM

For every one street bike there is probably 100 Lawn Mowers in operation every weekend...

When is the last time someone smog tested or looked at the emmissions standards for lawn mowers...

Frickin' moron law makers :excuseme:

Don't give them any ideas or soon you'll be bringing the Yard King in every two years to give $$$ to the state.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.