Header for a 2006 YZ450f

10 replies to this topic
  • Sharp Shooter

Posted May 09, 2009 - 11:34 AM

So I'm riding the track yesterday and my buddy Sam crashes about 5 seconds ahead of me. By the time I see him I have a split second to react and vear off the track just missing him.

Unfortunately this put me sliding onto hard pack dirt (I couldn't stop) sliding me onto another section of the same track where I was t-boned.

Nobody was seriously hurt but I damaged my header. Aside from the obvious it bent all the way to the engine case.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
- Jerry

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted May 09, 2009 - 12:29 PM

That can be repaired simply by removing the header, filling the U section with water, and standing it in the freezer until the water freezes solid. The ice expands as it freezes and will push the dent out. No need to plug either end.

A dent that size will likely take three or four repetitions to completely resolve the matter, but it will eventually push it clear out.

• Sharp Shooter

Posted May 09, 2009 - 12:51 PM

That can be repaired simply by removing the header, filling the U section with water, and standing it in the freezer until the water freezes solid. The ice expands as it freezes and will push the dent out. No need to plug either end.

A dent that size will likely take three or four repetitions to completely resolve the matter, but it will eventually push it clear out.

That won't fix the way the pipe is bent though. It was pushed down onto the engine case. Thanks for the info none the less. :excuseme:

• KJ790

Posted May 09, 2009 - 04:42 PM

Freezing will help the dent, but not the bend. You can try piperepair.com, they can fix it. Or you can check ebay for a new one. Any YZ450F header from 03-06 will fit.

• Sharp Shooter

Posted May 09, 2009 - 05:06 PM

Freezing will help the dent, but not the bend. You can try piperepair.com, they can fix it. Or you can check ebay for a new one. Any YZ450F header from 03-06 will fit.

Are you sure about the 03-05 being the same pipe as the 06?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJ790

Posted May 10, 2009 - 02:51 AM

Are you sure about the 03-05 being the same pipe as the 06?

Yup, the header was the same for 03-06, the silencer changed between 05 and 06 when they got the new frame, but the header remained the same. The header changed diameter at the midpipe joint for 07.

• Sharp Shooter

Posted May 10, 2009 - 07:15 AM

Yup, the header was the same for 03-06, the silencer changed between 05 and 06 when they got the new frame, but the header remained the same. The header changed diameter at the midpipe joint for 07.

Well that's good to know. THANK!!!!

• KJ790

Posted May 10, 2009 - 09:15 AM

Well that's good to know. THANK!!!!

And if you want to go stainless instead of titanium but want to stick with a stock header, the 03-08 YFZ450 (quad) came with the same header as the 03-06 YZ450F, except it was stainless steel instead of titanium.

• husqy360

Posted May 10, 2009 - 01:32 PM

maybe you guys know if a complate wb system off 05 yz450f will fit on my 06.
thx

• KJ790

Posted May 10, 2009 - 06:35 PM

maybe you guys know if a complate wb system off 05 yz450f will fit on my 06.
thx

Nope. That has to be used as a full system, and the silencer doesn't fit. When Yamaha switched to the aluminum frame they moved the mount on the midpipe a couple inches.

• husqy360

Posted May 10, 2009 - 08:26 PM

Nope. That has to be used as a full system, and the silencer doesn't fit. When Yamaha switched to the aluminum frame they moved the mount on the midpipe a couple inches.

ok thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.