06 WR 450 Suspension Question

3 replies to this topic
  • Tonyf6188

Posted May 08, 2009 - 05:44 AM

Here is what I have. Stock everything as far as suspension. I am a 220lb rider. I ride mostly trails but trails with alot of big jumps. I am a very aggressive rider and my stock suspension bottoms alot. I already know that I need to change the springs out, but my question is how much of a difference is there going to be between the stock .46 (front) and say a .48 or .50? I have done all the charts, and one tells me to use .48 and another tells me to use .50. Another question I have is if I get the .50 and they turn out to be a little stiffer than I need, will the compression adjustments on the bike allow me to adjust enough to be comfortable. And will the same work if the .48 be too soft? Thanks for any help in advance! The rear is not as bad as the front.

• ww44wrf450f

Posted May 08, 2009 - 09:44 AM

I'm the same weight as you, I went to a factory connection .48 with 7.5 weight oil on the front, and a race tech 5.8 on the rear. You might want to get some valving for the front but I find the original ok for my type of riding, the bike turns alot better and handling has smoothed out. I think correct springs are a must, it is like day and night. I think valving is a must if you like to jump alot and an overall weakness on the wr's from reading past post's.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DrzDasher

Posted May 09, 2009 - 11:46 AM

Suspension is by far the best money spent. It makes the bike safer and makes you faster. If you are 220 with the gear go 48 if more go up a rate. Best thing to do is find a shop near you that knows the areas that you ride and they can set you up good.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 09, 2009 - 03:11 PM

Here is what I have. Stock everything as far as suspension. I am a 220lb rider. I ride mostly trails but trails with alot of big jumps. I am a very aggressive rider and my stock suspension bottoms alot. I already know that I need to change the springs out, but my question is how much of a difference is there going to be between the stock .46 (front) and say a .48 or .50? I have done all the charts, and one tells me to use .48 and another tells me to use .50. Another question I have is if I get the .50 and they turn out to be a little stiffer than I need, will the compression adjustments on the bike allow me to adjust enough to be comfortable. And will the same work if the .48 be too soft? Thanks for any help in advance! The rear is not as bad as the front.

I weigh about 200lbs (give or take a burger and fries), which means my riding weight is about 225 or so.

I have .48 in the front and a 5.8 in the rear. This is what I ended up with after a couple of trips to the suspension tuner. I like this very, very much.

I ride at an intermediate pace and take moderate sized hits in the desert. But if I was really agressive and did any sort of jumping, I'd be looking at the stiffer spring. Post this question in the suspension forum and you'll get some really great feedback.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.