CR125 Crankcase Oil

26 replies to this topic
  • SEEKandDESTROY2

Posted May 08, 2009 - 05:34 AM

How much and what weight crankcase oil does an 01 CR125 take? Thanks, Pete

• notsohusky

Posted May 08, 2009 - 08:52 AM

4-5 quarts of 10-30, just like your car.

I am messing with you, BTW. The only oil in your crankcase should be the oil that you mix with your fuel.

• Coolidge

Posted May 08, 2009 - 09:16 AM

Im using Honda 2-stroke trans oil 80/85w in my CR500r

• katoom525sx

Posted May 09, 2009 - 07:14 AM

First of all it is not crank case oil it is tranny oil. It says by the kick starter I think. I would use the honda hp tranny in the red bottle.

• mynewcr250

Posted May 09, 2009 - 10:47 AM

i used to use honda hp trans fluid. then i switched to regular supertech type f ATF.

works fine. actually seems to work better. best part is the super tech is like $2 a quart, the honda stuff is like $8.

• todthebod

Posted May 09, 2009 - 02:38 PM

SuperTech 10w40 here. I can't see paying $10 a quart when you're going to change it out in a couple of rides anyway. I could see it in a 3 shoe clutch for cooling purposes but that's not a problem with these clutches.

• Big_G_Hall

Posted May 09, 2009 - 03:42 PM

Im using Honda 2-stroke trans oil 80/85w in my CR500r

Ditto. I really like this stuff

• Coolidge

Posted May 11, 2009 - 06:44 AM

Ditto. I really like this stuff

...Chuck Norris CAN kill two stones with one bird!

...Chuck dismisses the Periodic table. He only recognizes the element of surprise! lol

• slowfe

Posted May 11, 2009 - 08:04 AM

chuck norris is so bad ass he can ride a wheelie on a unicycle.

• Coolidge

Posted May 11, 2009 - 08:33 AM

....If you have 5 bucks, and Chuck Norris has 5 bucks, Chuck has more money :excuseme:

When Chuck Norris was denied an Egg McMuffin at McDonald's because it was 10:35, he roundhouse kicked the store so hard it became a Wendy's.

Chuck Norris CAN believe it's not butter.

When Chuck Norris talks, everybody listens. And dies.

Chuck Norris always knows the EXACT location of Carmen SanDiego

Chuck Norris doesnt shave; he kicks himself in the face. The only thing that can cut Chuck Norris is Chuck Norris.

In honor of Chuck Norris, all McDonald's in Texas have an even larger size than the super-size. When ordering, just ask to be Chucksized.

• Big_G_Hall

Posted May 11, 2009 - 10:22 AM

Chuck Norris won a staring contest with the sun.

Chuck Norris does not comb his hair, it falls perfectly into place out of sheer terror.

Chuck Norris does not read books, he stares at them until he gets the information he wants.

For many men the left testicle is larger than the right. For Chuck Norris each testicle is larger than the other.

Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

If you ever work in an office with Chuck Norris, NEVER ask him for his three-hole punch.

Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.

• 97 Polaris Ultra SPX

Posted May 11, 2009 - 05:48 PM

It says on the case by the kickstarter and I beleive it is 650ml.

• jdubb75

Posted May 11, 2009 - 06:26 PM

Ahh...a classic Chuck joke never gets old... :ride:

For the tranny oil... I use Honda HP4 10w40, but any 10w30 or 40 will work as long as it doesn't have friction modifiers. I have never tested it for myself, but it has been rumored that engine oil with friction modifiers adversely affects the clutch engagement. :smirk:

To make a long story short, and to go along with what has already been said, the oil isn't in the tranny long enough (or shouldn't be) to break down. It just gets dirty from the clutch plates. Change it often and you can't go wrong. :excuseme:

• Coolidge

Posted May 12, 2009 - 06:32 AM

Chuck is such a bad ass, he once went to the Virgin Islands, and when he came back they were 'The Islands"

• Fobia

Posted May 12, 2009 - 10:29 AM

570 cc's for oil change on a 01 cr125 i just use Amsoil ATF for my oil

• Fobia

Posted May 12, 2009 - 10:35 AM

i used to use honda hp trans fluid. then i switched to regular supertech type f ATF.

works fine. actually seems to work better. best part is the super tech is like $2 a quart, the honda stuff is like $8.

do you have a link to this oil?

• jdubb75

Posted May 12, 2009 - 10:39 AM

Yes, the Honda trans oil is expensive. I'm getting the HP4 10w40 for around $3.50/qt. I use it as engine oil in my 650R and Rubicon so I just started using it in the CR as well. :excuseme:

• mynewcr250

Posted May 18, 2009 - 05:26 PM

do you have a link to this oil?

the honda stuff or the super tech stuff?

jdubb75: yes it is expensive. i am a big fan of running what the MFG recommended. but seeing as how honda names their own trans fluid as the recommended fluid (which looks a lot like atf....) but then gives the option of running a regular motor oil, i figure honda has given us some leeway in running something other than what the spec. so i gave it a shot with the atf to see if i can get a little cheapy on it. the application sure seems right. we'll see how it works out.

And $3.50 a quart isnt bad, but i still go to walmart for my car oil changes. Motorcraft 5/30 semisynthetic for like $2.70/qt or so, and a motorcraft filter for cheap. cant beat it lol.

• Coolidge

Posted May 19, 2009 - 09:59 AM

Just my opinion. Even if oil is 2.00 or 8.00 a qt, its still cheap insurance to change frequently

• SEEKandDESTROY2

Posted May 22, 2009 - 08:52 PM

First of all it is not crank case oil it is tranny oil. It says by the kick starter I think. I would use the honda hp tranny in the red bottle.

Thanks for being a smartass.

Actually, its Transmission Gear oil according to the bottle of Honda fluid out in the garage.

Have a good day.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

My first bike... 01 Cr80 by dylancr80

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

What should I get for my next bike? by JHodel20

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 20 replies
Forums
Photo

PWK carb.....to TPS or not to TPS....that is the question by sandy450

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

99 Cr125r not running correctly by josephduckworth

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2007 CR250 IDLE AND LOW RPM PROBLEMS by Speeddemon73

• Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.