Handlebars risers

8 replies to this topic
  • Kawirider37

Posted May 07, 2009 - 08:01 PM

Who has replaced the 08 yz450f risers and what did you replace them with? I want to keep my stock clamps, just want to know what options are out there.

• davcon

Posted May 08, 2009 - 06:33 AM

Im 6-2 and put on these:
http://www.rockymoun...dFamilyId=12976

They look a bit strange but definitely functional. Can post pics later if interested.

• Kawirider37

Posted May 08, 2009 - 07:28 AM

how much higher did you end up going? Was is a comfortable difference right from the start or did you have to get used to it? Pics would be great, thanx.

• gdbarr1976

Posted May 08, 2009 - 08:52 AM

Im 6-2 and put on these:
http://www.rockymoun...dFamilyId=12976

They look a bit strange but definitely functional. Can post pics later if interested.

I used thoughts on my son's 06 450. But, in the 07 Baja 500 they came loose. Had to take the handlebars off to get to the bolts underneath to tighten them. Just check them from time to time or a better solution is get highter handle bars.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • davcon

Posted May 08, 2009 - 07:16 PM

how much higher did you end up going? Was is a comfortable difference right from the start or did you have to get used to it? Pics would be great, thanx.

Raised 1.5" above stock. Loved it immiediately especially in the standing position. The kit provides long replacement allen screws so there are no screws to tighten under the bars. I used the longest screw and did not use the smallest shim. It seemed there was only a couple of threads biting into the stock lower clamp.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Made this little bracket to shorten the reach to the hot start. All the other cables are long enough.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• mikedabike

Posted May 09, 2009 - 07:31 AM

The problem I have with the risers is they don't move the bars forward. I am not sure on the 08 but on my 07 they were too short and too close.

• grayracer513

Posted May 09, 2009 - 12:16 PM

The problem I have with the risers is they don't move the bars forward. I am not sure on the 08 but on my 07 they were too short and too close.

I agree. When I replaced the Henry bends on my '06 with Windham bends, the grip position moved up, yes, but also moved forward about an inch or so. This made a huge improvement in the amount of room I had, in the comfort and control in the standing position, and, surprisingly, in the way the steering responds overall:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=657523

• Kawirider37

Posted May 09, 2009 - 01:25 PM

back to the original subject, has anyone else replaced just their risers with aftermarket ones? If so wich ones.

• mike_dean

Posted May 09, 2009 - 06:28 PM

I replaced mine with GYTR bar mounts, and installed Windham Pro-Tapers, the mounts moved up 10mm and forward 10mm, the bars went up and forward even more, the overall position with tall seat and lowered pegs is good for me, 6'3" and long legs. Also check out www.barrisersonline.com when you need to drastically change, I put them on our TTR125 which is ridden by my son and I, both over 6'. Mike

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.